Thursday, July 1, 2010

Another Beauty of a Day

Another gorgeous summer day today. A little warmer, a little more humid, a little windier, ... but man, this is NICE. I will TAKE IT!!

This morning I decided to run 1/4 miles. My legs felt sluggish as I left for my 2 warm-up miles so I didn't know how it would go. So I just ran one and thought I'd see what the time was and how I felt and go from there, hoping to get in 10 repeats. The first was 1:24. I'll take it!! Shortly after I finished that one, Lisa ran by so we chatted for a few minutes. She asked how many I had left: 9. :-) So ... here are my splits: 1:24  1:25  1:25  1:24  1:25  1:27  1:25  1:24  1:27  1:21 (let 'er rip!). Then a 2 mile cooldown and not a minute to spare in my before work schedule. Whew! 9 miles total. (I do 1/4 mile recoveries.)

This afternoon I decided to run around town ... on my bike. First stop: Rochester Cycling & Fitness to talk to Deb about saddles. She put a different one on for me, but I think I like it less than the first. It's a WSD (Women's Specific Design) but it feels too wide in the middle and it's recessed so I feel like I'm sitting on two skinny outside edges. I'll ride it a bit tomorrow and see if I feel differently, but I think this one has to go. She said she has one more for me to try. A Selle Italia.

Next stop was Great Harvest for a loaf of Honey Whole Wheat bread. I had a sample of the Rocky Road bread (a yeast bread). Quite good.

Next stop was Lisa's new house down by Slatterly Park. Very cute house. She just moved in but has it very livable already. I brought her some "happy move in" cookies.


Next stop was back to R C & F to pick up my original saddle so I'd have it for the holiday weekend should I decide I need to go back to that one. Then home. 15 miles total.

Next stop was the Bear's Den (via car) for the weekly Thursday evening run. My legs felt really tired and my left hamstring had a slight twinge so I thought I'd be a walker. But I decided to run to the Frontage Road and see how I felt. I actually felt pretty good, though tired, and ended up running the 6 miler and it actually went well. I ran quite a bit of it with Jan Hanson.


It was a nice run. And then back to the Den for the requisite social "hour". The evening in photos ...





There are so many options for Thursdays these days. Team R.E.D., Thursdays on First, TNT (Thursday Night Triathlon), and tonight, the TriRochester social gathering at Glynner's Pub.

Registration for Grandma's Marathon 2011 opened today at http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/ I registered for the full marathon.

Laura reports that 472 purple ribbons were given out on Tuesday evening. I'm not surprised. It was a beautiful weather evening and the crowd was large. Please consider assisting! Laura was helping hand out ribbons and it would be nice if she could be freed up to do her "race director" duties. :-) Thanks. Look for a one page photo spread in this weekend's Post-Bulletin. Nice!

From Jim Mason: Our trail group met last night for a little jaunt around Carly State Park. What an awesome night for a run in the woods.Here is a link to a slide show. http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?albumId=308276018115&ownerId=152479053115 We plan on meeting Tuesday July 5th at the 2nd picnic shelter at Oxbow Park, 6:15 PM for our next adventure. All trail runners or wanna be trail runners are welcome.


From Jim Parry:

Mr. Parry's Endurance Challenge for the YMCA
Come in and support Mr. Jim Parry on Tuesday, August 3rd. Jim will be running from 5AM-10PM (17 hours!!) on a treadmill in our lobby to raise money for our 2010 Strong Kids Campaign! You may have heard of Mr. Parry's Endurance Challenge in Stewartville a few months ago. Mr. Parry teaches 6th grade and he is interested in raising awareness about the importance of exercise for youth and everyone in the community. During his 24 hour run in Stewartville, he completed 100 miles. Jim used to work at the YMCA in Rochester and so did his father. Jim shared, "My family was able to take part in Y programs when I was a child because of the scholarship program. We would never have been able to afford those opportunities without the generosity of others." So Jim is giving back on Tuesday, August 3rd from 5AM-10PM at the Rochester Area Family YMCA: Visit http://www.rochfamy.org/ for more information.

You can help Jim out by:
1) Running along side Jim. We will have a schedule for people who can run with him on a 2nd treadmill in the lobby.
2) Pledge Jim efforts with a donation to our Strong Kids Campaign at http://www.ymcastrongkids.org/
3) Spread the word. Share this information and invite others to participate by visit http://www.rochfamy.org/
4) Volunteer to help organize this effort by emailing brendak@rochfamy.org

Well, that's all I know for today. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: