Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm Gonna Live!

I thought I ought to let you all know that I'm back among the alive and well, and it feels great to be here. Whew. That was one nasty, albeit short-lived, little virus that took hold of me last week. Yowza. I've been through childbirth a couple of times, had half my pancreas removed, had back surgery, and I feel like I can honestly say that I've never felt as physically miserable as I did from Friday late morning until sometime Saturday morning. As I said previously I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and then the truck backed up and did it again. Got a facebook message from a female runner friend yesterday and it sounds like she has the same nasty little virus I had. Said she also felt like the truck hit her. But ... I'm doing good now!!

Good enough yesterday that I went for a 34.64 mile bike ride. We ran into Tod and Meg Bellrichard east of Oxbow park on County 3. That was fun!! I should have snapped a pic with my phone. Anyway, it wasn't a fast ride by any means but it made me feel human again being out and about and breathing fresh air. A good ride.

This morning I ran 10.02 s-l-o-o-o-w miles and it felt really good to be running again I must say after 3+ days off. But my legs really did feel heavy. I suppose the lack of calorie intake over the weekend, the bike ride yesterday both contributed to that feeling. But I averaged a 9 minute pace so it wasn't devistatingly slow. I guess.

As I was convalescing I finally got through the stack of P-Bs that were accumulating for my reading pleasure. There was a very nice article on Pat Brown back before Grandma's marathon (yes, I was VERY behind). I've tried to find it online but am having no success. I also watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Haven't watched this much TV in about a year.

Running buds Tom O', Paul Melby, Pam King, Julie Maxwell and Peggy Morgan are all in TC10 I see. (I am to, with a guaranteed entry because I'm running with my race team.) And I'm sure there are more. Boy I tell 'ya ... I can't win a lottery for nothing. I tried the regular TC10 lottery a couple of times and didn't get in. And I've run the MTCM 1 Mile race this year and last and roughly half of the field each year gets a guaranteed entry into TC10. Did I get one either year? Nope. I just am not lucky!!

Reminder from Joey Keillor: "Tonight (Quarry Hill/Parkwood Hills) we have Jon Finnoff M.D. with sports med at Mayo giving a talk on injury prevention for runners. He'll be arriving at 8:00 p.m. to give his talk. It will be very informative." Feel free to attend.

I had the energy to make a peach pie yesterday. This afternoon, I ate the last 1" slice of it. Yum.



Yesterday afternoon, Jean, Jen, Larry and I met at Panera for a Rochester Half Marathon meeting.


We all came away with a Things To Do list. Here's mine:
  • Call the Bread Baker Co. and ask for a donation of bread nuggets
  • Advertise for a water stop coordinator
  • Advertise for a volunteer coordinator
  • Advertise for volunteers (hint, hint!)
  • Check on an official starter for the race
  • Investigate on-course music
  • Contact LifetimephotoMN for photographs
  • Investigate getting a medical tent (thank you Bill Nevala)
  • Find lead bikers
  • Find out if Kemp's Moo Machine is going this year (nope)
So ... if anyone is interested in volunteering (we need a lot of you), playing music on the course, being a lead biker for the half or the 5K, please let me know. A million thanks.

I bought myself some roses today. They're so pretty and they smell so nice.


Off to do Community Food Response. Be well!

1 comment:

BigGahoona said...

Where would one go to sign up as a volunteer for the Rochester Half Marathon?