Saturday, April 30, 2011

Wind, Rain and More Wind and Rain

It just doesn't quit. Ugly, miserable weather. This morning brought rain and strong SE winds just in time for lift off for the long run at the RAC. And just about everybody stayed home!! Or stayed inside ... There were just a handful of us that set out for the 17+ mile jaunt around Rochester. About 1/4 mile into the run, into the wind and with rain, I wanted to bag it. But I was already wet so I just kept running. A HUGE thank you to Roger and Joyce and Ed and Peggy for staffing the water stops for us today. It had to be at least as miserable for them as it was for us. I have no pix from the morning ... way to wet to be toting a camera on the run. Suffice it to say ... it was wet. And windy. You get the picture. For me, the most miserable stretch was coming east on Salem Road from the end of Mayowood Road. We were running into the wind, the rain picked up, and the spray off the cars, and especially the trucks, would blow onto me. And I knew we had 2 hills to climb before getting back to the RAC. I got back to the RAC with a little more than 17 miles in. I went in to get a drink and a bathroom break and decided that I was already as wet as I was going to get, wasn't hurting, and had the energy so I might as well make a 20-miler out of it. So I went back out and ended the run with 20.23 miles. One thing I have to work on ... water retention. I am getting tired of bathroom breaks, both in training and the marathon. I think I don't get enough sodium in my diet so fluids are just going right through me. I eat oatmeal and fruit with milk every morning. No, or very little, sodium. Lunch is usually a sandwich or bagel and fruit or yogurt. Supper, a big salad and maybe a little something else. But I don't eat processed foods so I think my sodium levels are probably a little deficient. I still have 3 of the 6 pieces of Giordano's pizza left from being in Chicago. I think I'll have one of those for supper. Yum.

Dan Strain had seen the photo of the Dunkin' Donut from Portland, ME and asked if it was a Bavarian Cream bismark. (It was Kreme-filled.) But I remembered that, so I brought him a Bavarian Cream bismark back from Chicago and gave it to him this morning. It's now about 2 days old, but hope he enjoyed it anyway. :-)

Lin could use people to staff water stops for the RAC runs on the 7th and 14th of May. If you can help out, please email her. Thanks!!

I had a decent run this morning, but am not in good shape. I just haven't done any speed work or tempo runs. I'm just trying to get in the miles and used to running on tired legs. Yesterday at the Good Food Store talking to Joey by the checkout, I told him that I'd get through these spring marathons and then get myself in shape. The cashier heard that and said "Get in shape AFTER running a marathon?" Then I proceeded to talk to him after Joey left. He said he recognized me from lifting at the Y. I didn't recognize him, but I hope I do the next time we are both there. He's a 2009 JM and ran cross county in H.S.

Well, vanity got the best of me and I decided to flip the rear tire on my bike. The tires are matchy matchy once again.



Today's run was memorable. You don't remember the ones that are easy and effortless. I'm glad I ran when the going was tough. I'll close this post with some lyrics from These Are The Days by Keith Urban:

 ... slow it down
Taste the wild honey, listen to the sound
Of the wind that's blowin' through the trees
Rivers flowin' to the sea
Yeah they're all headin' home just like you and me
Life's for livin' child, can't you see?"

These are the days we will remember
These are the times that won't come again
The highest of flames become an ember
And you gotta live 'em while you can

These are the days we will remember ...

1 comment:

RS Gold said...

Wow it seems like you did so much for just one weekend!!

fifa 14 coins