Friday, April 1, 2011

Oh, my ....

NOT a good day.


This would put a damper on anyone's running (or biking or swimming or anything) aspirations. Remember Nancy Kerrigan after whe got clubbed by that guy, wailing, "Why? Why? Why?" Why, indeed. But you know what?? APRIL FOOL'S!! Not me. Gotcha?? :-)

Popped in to Brothers for a few minutes last night to join the Team R.E.D. folks after I attended a session on a new tool the Post-Bulletin will be using in the near future to post scores (or results, in the case of running), stories, announcements, etc. in the Wide World of Sports. (Remember that show 50-somethings?)

Millie, Peter, Mike

So. This morning's workout starting with a lifting session at the Y. I brought my camera today since I knew I was running with Joe, so I thought I'd take a few pix in the fitness center. Mike Holmes took these for me.




Willie and Margo

I did WAY too much chatting today, so my swim was cut short by about 15 minutes. Chatted with Mike and Kevin. They obliged me with a couple pix. I told them they'd become "bleaders" if they started reading my blog. :-)


Mike and Kevin (hard at work  :-)


I joined Joe outside at 9:20 or so for an 8-mile run. I couldn't find my black Running Room skull cap, and I went into the Fitness Center, the front desk and the locker room (twice) looking for it. So I wore a baseball-style cap. I really look bad in these. I need my "fluffy" hair on top 'o my head!!


Ugh!! I look AWFUL.

We ran EXACTLY 8.00 miles. South to the golf course bridge, up along the river and right by the cemetery, to the end of the Quarry Hill trail, back to the 9th St tennis courts, south of Silver Lake and back to the Y. Running was a struggle today. My legs had NOTHING. My breathing felt labored. Overtrained? Possibly. Quite possibly. Last night at about 8:45 pm I got on the bike and rode the Time Trial I TriRochester workout and that did a number on my legs. So after the morning workout, that was it for today. No 2nd workout. While I was watching TV on the bike I saw an add for the move Water for Elephants coming out April 22. That was a great book. I'd really like to see the film version.

Good news: When I got home, I found my hat laying on the floor. :-)

I've decided not to run Fool's Five. The likelihood of injury and disappointment (and rain) are much too high. I just can't get fired up around racing, or running fast, this year. Like I told Joe today, I've been mulling over the idea of taking up bike racing again (after almost 30 years off racing). Or, I might try a 50K trail run for something different. Jim Mason's Chester Woods 50K would be a good one to start with. Check Jim's Blog for the down and dirty on all things Chester Woods. :-)

I'm sitting on the couch, laptop on my lap, with the Twins on the TV. It's 10-0 Toronto. DISLIKE. Not a great way to start the season. So ... I now have my iPod on so at least I'm not hearing about this disappointing game. I can just peek at the score every once in a while.

I'm trying to eat über-healthy these days so I can drop some lbs. Lots o'salads. But that's nothing new.


I made m&m cookies for the TriRochester Pre-season Party tomorrow at Rochester Cycling & Fitness.




All those m&ms (I love m&ms) and I didn't eat even ONE. I am proud of myself. I did have a 30-calorie caramel Nip after supper, though.

This morning as I was leaving the Y, I was just feet away from being T-boned, on the driver's side. I was going north on 1st Ave SW and I had the green light. I was just pulling into the intersection and saw an SUV approaching on my left and he didn't slow down a bit. He ran the light but we both slammed on the brakes and avoided a collision. It would have been totally his fault as I double-checked and glanced at the lights again and sure enough, his was red. I would have been hit on my side and his vehicle was bigger than mine. It would not have been good. This is the same situation in which Peg had her van totalled a couple years ago. People run that light all the time. I think they're looking ahead to Broadway and just don't see the one on 1st Ave.

After I dropped off a check at Hiller's for some new carpet, I stopped at Aldi for a few things. Noticed I'd forgotten my list. Bummer. And phone. No big deal. And my debit card (they don't take credit) expired YESTERDAY. (The new one was on the table at home.) But ... I found a quarter in one of the shopping carts. :-) And they had my favorite 90-calorie granola bars for $1.39.


At 14 cents it's a lot cheaper than gels. And I find them more palatable.

I'm having a bunch of 2011-Boston-Marathon-running-buddies over for a potluck on Monday. Great turnout. Everyone can come but Angie who has to work. 14 of us. Yippee!! It'll be really fun to talk all things Boston.

I'll close with some Lady Antebellum lyrics:

May the angels protect you
Trouble neglect you
And heaven accept you when its time to go home
May you always have plenty
The glass never empty
Know in your belly
You're never alone

May your tears come from laughing
You find friends worth having
With every year passing
They mean more than gold
May you win but stay humble
Smile more than grumble
And know when you stumble
You're never alone.
 
Gute nacht.

No comments: