Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Day In The Life

A Day in the Life of a Race Director: Picked up 2 cases of bananas at Kwik Trip; dropped off printer/timers and laptops at John Resman's house; printed off labels for awards (chocolate bunnies and Running Room gift cards); downloaded more registrations from the Running Room website; got Laura's minivan for hauling "stuff" (a HUGE thank you, Laura);




sent John Resman the registration spreadsheet. I still have to separate T-shirts for pre-registered runners.




This morning, I ran 8.09 leisurely miles. I'm going to get on my soap box for a minute. I was on Salem Road and saw a McDonald's bag laying on the path along with several napkins and wrappers. It looked terrible. Really stuck out against that black path. So I stopped and picked it up and carried it home.


I just don't know what people are thinking when they toss trash out their window. I guess the best I can say is that they're not thinking. It's not going to disintegrate any time soon. It looks terrible. And now it's someone else's problem. I really wish we didn't even need to have "Adopt-A-Highway", "A Litter Bit Better", etc. I just don't get it. And to those that throw their cigarette butts out the window ... I can't tell you how many butts were along the path and especially the road last night. They've been there for a long time and are mixed in with dirt, sand, etc. and it's a REAL chore to pick them up. THROW THEM IN A TRASH CAN. End of tirade.

At 12:30, we presented Dr. Pruthi a $15,000 check for the proceeds from Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer. She updated us on the yoga study for newly-diagnosed patients. It sounds like a great program and I look forward to hearing about the results.

Me, Laura, Dr. Pruthi, John

As I mentioned yesterday, I registered for the New York City marathon based on last year's Wobegon marathon finishing time. They moved the guaranteed registration deadline up from April 30 to April 19, unbeknownst to me (thank you Tom Woo). Here's a link to the qualifying times, both marathon and half marathon times allow entry: http://www.nycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/apply.htm I'm now classified as a "veteran". :-0

I forgot to comment on Tuesday's movie with the gals, The Lincoln Lawyer. Starred Matthew McConaughey, Marissa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, William H. Macy. It's a drama about a legal tangle and I enjoyed it. One of those where you really have to pay attention to dialogue.

This evening, I met Don Gabrielson at 5:30 for some early miles before Team R.E.D. I think we ran each other into the ground for 3 miles. :-) He said my pace was too much for him, but I say his pace was too much for me. :-) I baked some oatmeal raisin cookies for the troops.



I came home and made a salad for supper.


Now here I sit, blogging. Up for tomorrow: run part of the 20K course to check on conditions; print out labels for the race numbers; package up cookies for 20K age-group winners; separate pre-registered runners' T-shirts; get cash; pick up supplies at the shed; pick up apples/caramel, pita chips/hummus from Reichel Foods; pick up Race Rolls from Great Harvest; head over to Running Room late afternoon for registration, etc. Lots to do.

Enough for tonight. Sleep well.

No comments: