Friday, April 22, 2011

Portland, ME: 2011 Version

<< Post #3 for the day ... might be a PR !! >>

I decided to head back up to Portland, Maine after the marathon as I'd enjoyed it so much this year. I had a little less time there this year as my return flight from Boston was Wednesday noon rather than Thursday late afternoon, though I left Boston late Monday afternoon rather than late Tuesday afternoon. I'd stowed my bags in Kristin's room at the Sheraton so I wouldn' have to make my way all the way back to the Ramada after the race. The Amtrak Downeaster left at 5:40 PM. I quickly changed out of my very salty, sweaty clothes but didn't get into a shower until 9:00 pm. A LONG wait. The T was unbelievably crowded. There must have been over 100 people in just one car. I wish I'd snapped a photo, but with all my baggage and extremely tired legs, that wasn't the first thing on my mind. With the marathon and the Sox game, there were sooooooo many people using public transportation. Got on at the Hynes stop and more than 30 minutes later, arrived at the Arlington station, just down Boylston street. Copley was closed becaue of the marathon. It was now after 4:45 and I didn't think it was going to be possible to get all the way up to North Station via the T in time to get on the train, so a taxi was the much better alternative. $10 was never better spent. My legs were so tired, my patience wearing thin, and I was tired of hearing this obnoxious guy complaining about the lack of movement on the T in A VERY LOUD VOICE. Made it to the train station with time to spare. Wonderful!!

I'd made reservations at The Inn at St. John, a Victorian Inn in Portland.



It was very reasonably priced ($69.55 with taxes/fees) and looked really good online. I had some doubts as to whether this was too good to be true. It wasn't!! It was lovely, clean, and very well appointed for the $.



Should have take a pic when the towels were still all nicely rolled up :-)

I didn't get a photo but there was a little sitting area with a table/chairs and a refrigerator/coffee maker on one end of the room. Ceilings were at least 10' tall. Very nice room. First stop after arriving and taking a wonderful warm shower was Pizza Villa across the street. I was really hungry and craving salt. The pizza with chicken and spinach and feta, and a glass of wine, really hit the spot. Tuesday morning was Dunkin' Donuts and a Kreme-filled (fat laden) donut. DELISH!!! I was still hungry.


Next stop, the Miss Portland Diner hoping to meet up with Susie from St. Paul, whom I'd met last year.






Unfortunately, Susie had the day off. :-( But the oatmeal still hit the spot. :-) And filled me up.

Next stop (all this on foot) was Walgreens for a bottle of Diet Coke. Only in Maine would you find a tank of live lobsters in Walgreens! The store had been open only a few weeks. I didn't remember it being there last year.


The 1 liter bottle with tax came to $1.93. I gave the clerk $2. He asked if I had 93 cents in change. I kind of looked at him funny. He asked again if I had 93 cents in change as that would be easier. Wha??? This isn't making any sense!! Short story long and then short ... he gave me 7 cents back. Right across the parking lot, Trader Joe's!!

I was revisiting all my haunts that I remembered from last year, so it was under the interstate to the Back Bay. I didn't run around it this year. (All my travel through Portland was on foot.) Legs were too tired. Last year I'd had one more day of rest at this point.


Across from the Back Bay was Hannaford's grocery store where I again stopped in to purchase a King Arthur Flour scone mix. Can't get them in the midwest except online and shipping is expensive. It was fun to see all the seafood so nicely displayed. I was definitely in Maine.


I really enjoy the Old Port section of town with the old cobblestone streets.


I walked down to the port by J's Oyster Bar to see all the lobster boats and traps.


There's a seal just off the end of the pier
Just across the street is Le Roux Kitchenware that Jean had told me about last year. I didn't have room in my suitcase for anything more than one of the most excellent chocolate bars I'd ever tasted (bought one last year, haven't opened this one yet) ... dark chocolate with sea salt. The clerk said they have a hard time keeping them in stock. I look forward to a taste.

Lunch was the very busy and popular Becky's Diner for haddock. Delicious.



Yup ... this was a foodie tour of Portland. :-) My post-marathon food celebartion, one day delayed.

My left foot was really hurting, so it was back to the room to rest for a few hours. My cartoonish map of Portland was a little deceiving so the walk was very long. Probably had 5 miles in by this time. At least. After resting my weary legs, it was back out and back to the Old Port. On Congress Street, I saw a bike shop and ducked in. Nice shop. And there were several cruisers in the front window with most excellent paint jobs. I'd love one of these beauties!!





Back to more shops in the Old Port, but nothing purchased.



Late afternoon, I finally indulged in the ice cream cone I'd been craving for weeks. At Beal's. Caramel swirl. And delicious. Worth the wait even though it was cold outside ...


Then I'd made reservations for a tour of the Shipyard Brewery at 5:30. I'm not much of a beer drinker, but it was free and I thought it would be interesting to see and hear how beer is made. There's actually a lot of science to the process. And machinery.



Barley, in a variety of roasts

Yeast, 16 years old (it keeps getting re-used)


Bottling (bigger bottles ... either 16 or 22 ounce ... not as automated as 12 oz)
After a mile and a half walk back (I'm guessing about 8 to 9 for the day), dinner was salmon at the Dogfish Cafe next to the inn. Delicious. A delightful spot.




This brought an end to my 2011 stay in Portland. Wednesday: taxi, Amtrak, T, shuttle, airplane, airplane, shuttle, walk home. And everything was on time. UnBeLiEvAbLe. ToTaLlY. But I'll take it. :-)

Toodles.

1 comment:

diablo 3 power leveling said...

Excellent in fact! Thanks for this!