Saturday, September 10, 2011

Let's See ...

... where did I leave off?? Thursday?? Thursday's workout: 12.0something miles. No hills. No speedwork. Just Around The Hill miles. My legs still felt beat up from Monday. Somewhere along the way, something got tweaked in my right calf. I stopped, rubbed it and continued on. No problem. But later in the day, it was very sore. Wonderful. ANOTHER injury. Limped around the rest of the day and attended the RTC Board meeting Thursday evening at the RAC. I've agreed to sit on the board for the rest of the year. We will be pulling together a printed, possibly color, end of the year issue and I'll be looking for articles. If there's anything you'd like to share ... race reports, info, photos, whatever ... please send them my way.

Which brings me to Friday. No morning workout. Running was not an option and I just never got around to getting on the bike. I've had realtors tell me that I should remove the wallpaper in the dining room and kitchen and paint. Yeah, I knew that. But now I've got to do it. I'm hoping to find someone to remove the paper and then I'll paint. But maybe I'll end up having a wallpaper removal party too. I started cleaning off a shelf in the family room, as it was too visually cluttered. My "trophy case" is now empty.



Mid-day I went out to Firefly Berries and picked 12 pints of raspberries. There are LOTS of berries left and they will be open for picking until a frost.



Late afternoon Friday I finally got on the bike and rode my Pine Island loop. The weather this week has been magnificent. There was a little NE wind yesterday but all in all, lovely day. Rode 42.76 miles.






Bathroom break

Thistle

Finished up about 6:00 PM. Didn't know whether I'd be running this morning or not. I wore my Injinji socks for the first time. I know one thing ... they take a LOT longer to put on.


Then my friend Joy advertised on Facebook that she had beets to give away. For free!! Yum!! I love roasted beets. I've never had pickled beets but I don't much care for pickled anything so I will roast these. So nice of her!! I brought her a few cookies. Here's Joy with her grandson Peter.


It was a beautiful sunset yesterday.


This morning, after much stretching and massaging the back of my legs with a rolling pin, I decided to try running at the RAC. The scheduled distance was 20 miles. Had no idea whether I'd even be able to run a mile but I wanted to give it a go. A good-sized crowd gathered as usual and off we were for a big loop on the north side of town (Walmart, Essex, Foster Arends, Quarry Hill). I ran the first several miles with Miki and her friend Kristin. They turned off early as they'd run 20 miles on Monday. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up running 20.04 miles. And I'd have to say it was my best 20-miler this year.


3:03:44 including 5 stops for Gatorade (2 cups at each stop), food (banana slices and/or the candy offered at that stop ... thank you Jean, Jules, Laura and Marcella!), and a few laughs. Never stopped my watch. Here are my splits: 8:31 8:10 8:08 9:41 (water stop) 8:20 8:31 8:32 10:35 (water stop) 8:21 10:27 (water stop) 8:36 8:30 11:05 (water stop) 8:52 9:00 10:26 (water stop) 9:58 8:56 9:05 9:29 Average: 9:10 pace. If I subtract 1.5, 2, 2, 2.5, 1.5 minutes for the standing around at the water stops (9 1/2 minutes) that gives me a 2:54 20 miler. Very pleased with the run, no matter how you look at it ... long bike ride late yesterday, corn and salad for supper last night, twinge in my calf for 2 days, 2 slices of bread and jam before the run, didn't eat either GU I carried along. Hoo-rah!! Here's the "after party" ...



Kristin has a passion for purple :-)


??? and Trevor

Scott

Yours truly ... I ran about 17 miles with the flower :-)

Dave, Kristin, Tom

Dave, Tom, Tom

This afternoon I read some from The Help and painted the two benches from the picnic table before I ran out of paint. I need water softener salt, so will make a run to Fleet Farm tomorrow and pick up both.

Looks a lot better, eh?
Supper ... I need more than a salad. So I'll harvest some of my basil and make Basil Arugula Walnut Pesto Pasta, a Cooking Light recipe. Easy and delicious. Speaking of Cooking Light ... on Monday we have our monthly gathering and I'm to bring wine. So I went to Andy's Crossroads this afternoon to consult with my friend Lyle who pours there on Saturdays. I brought the menu and he (and Pam and Margo) had suggestions for me. I ended up with a Menage a Trois red, an evodia Garnacha blend (Spanish I think) and a Prosecco. I don't work on Monday so I'm planning to (finally) bike around Lake Pepin. A nice 70 mile ride. Really looking forward to it.

Tomorrow ... OSS at Panera south at 7:30. 8 to 12 miles. I'll be there. Emily Gilles is planning a 9.11 mile run tomorrow (9/11) from the Soldier's Field parking lot at 6:30 am. The route is in the shape of the twin towers. Monday, trash pick up at 5:00 PM from the SF Snappy Stop parking lot.

I'd hoped to be in Madison, WI tomorrow cheering on all my Ironman-to-be friends ... Cheri Bates, Jeremy Ekman, Scott Ewen, Anne Welle Hoeschen, Diana Koepp, Kris Koepp, Erin Lemke, Bob Miller, Mario Minelli, Joe Moyer, Darin Napton, Joe Ryan, Tom Williamson. But I hatched the plan too late and there were just NO hotel rooms available (under $200 anyway). I found one in Dodgeville and one in Portage, but I decided to nix the idea and stay home. BEST OF LUCK to all of you!! You're all amazing. Have fun!!

Well, I better get busy. Enjoy this lovely, lovely weekend.

Toodles.

2 comments:

Diablo 3 items said...

fantastic pics!!!! very country effect, adore your current ensemble thus stylish and beautiful!!!

wow gears said...

wow !!what a nice trip, you guys are great