Sunday, June 27, 2010

Putting Grandma to Bed

It's time to finally put Grandma to bed. And it's a week late. My apologies. Let's get going.

I believe when I last posted about the marathon last weekend, we'd arrived back at the apartment and cleaned up. Then we headed down to Canal Park. We met up with Ron Giles at the tent.


After some trash talking, he got a mini loaf of chocolate chip, walnut, banana bread. :-)

but we all enjoyed the sounds of gb leighton. The afternoon crowd is pretty subdued.


When things at the tent shut down for a couple of hours, we made our way to Old Chicago for some food ...



and fun.




Also at Old Chicago were blogger Julie from Maple Grove along with her husband.


Then 'twas back outside. Andy ... BE CAREFUL!!


These guys from Thunder Bay (Dr. Doug and Mark) were walking by. I started chatting with them.


I think they decided they were having fun. :-)


I returned to the tent, only to be CARDED. I told the gal ... I'm 49 years old!! She said she was sorry but that she needed to see an id for everyone. Argghhhh...at least my purse was in the truck. So I headed back toward the parking lot and met up with Tom and Randy on the street and told them of my "situation". They walked back toward the truck with me. About 2/3 of the way there, I asked for the keys. Guess what? No keys. Tom Woo had the keys and he was somewhere else. So I called him. No answer. Called Andy and told him of my "situation". They agreed to come find us with the keys. Well, it took a while and we all ended up standing around the parking lot taking care of my "situation". Short story long, or maybe long story short, I got my id and went back to the tent and went into the same entrance I'd tried to enter the first time. I asked the gal if she wanted to see my id. Guess what? She recognized me and apologized "for before". She said she mistakenly though she needed to see all ids, but didn't. Arghhh!!! Well, that's the way it goes I guess...

Back at the tent, we met up with Doug Kurtis.

He's got quite an impressive running resume. He won Grandma's twice. And I think he was over 40 both times. He's also ran an enourmous number of sub-2:20 marathons. Anyway, google him for more info. There was also mention of him in the Duluth Tribune on Sunday after the race.

Mitch and Marni (they're engaged!) met up with us there ...


as did Pete Martin.



And Noah and Emily.


Tom O' was ready to have fun!!


And I guess Bri and I were too. :-)


We listed to gb leighton until the place closed down at 1:00. Probably a PR for all of us.


I had designated myself as the driver. So with help, I navigated our way back up the hill to St. Scholastica where we found ourselves locked out of the apartment building at 1:15 AM. Oh my ... I buzzed the operator and got someone from security to let us in. After some more funny moments, which are not bloggable, it was time for all of us to crash and attempt to recover from all that had gone on during the day.

I think all of us would agree, and many stated as such, this was really a memorable and fun weekend. Definitely one not to be forgotten. :-)

Closing this chapted on Grandma's 2010, Ramblin' Renee ... is signing off.


No comments: