Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's Over

Well, yesterday wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. In my dream of dreams I wanted to run a 1:35 half marathon up here in Duluth. But it wasn't to be.

The morning dawned with warmer than projected temps, at least for the half marathon which started at 6:30 AM. It was 66 degrees with a very noticeable head wind for the entire run from Two Harbors to Duluth. And I probably started out too fast (I haven't looked at my splits but I remember the first mile being 6:48). I'd debated whether or not to wear my calf compression sleeves and decided to wear them hoping they're mitigate cramping issues. Well that certainly didn't come to pass. The cramps set in at 8 1/2 miles. Whoa. That floored me. Waaaaaaay to early and much earlier than ever before in a half. I knew this wasn't going to be pretty.

Long story short, at least for now ... I ran a 1:39:02. The lowdown from the web anyway:

6th in my age group out of 225
89th female out of 3308
434 out of 5828 overall (including men)
7:34 average page

:-( Not what I wanted, but what I got. No excuses. Some days you have it, some days you don't. And yesterday was one of those days.

After my finish I hung around to see the winner cross and then went back out on the course. Saw so many familiar faces from both Rochester and St. Cloud. That was a lot of fun. And it was fun to cheer on the marathoners at mile 23. Some of them were certainly in their zone but some also reponded.

Well, this battery is going to die so I'm going to back this thing up and get on with the day. More to come ...

Toodles.

No comments: