Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Finally Feeling Fine ...

Finally! A good workout. I've been needing one for a couple of weeks. And this evening, I got it. This morning I ran 10 junk miles. My GPS died at 1.04 miles, so I just ran to where I knew I was 5 miles out and then turned around and came back. I was thinking about doing 1/4 miles but there was no sense doing that when I had no idea what my times were. So this afternoon I ran down to S.F. and ran hills before helping out at All Comers. At first, my legs still felt tired and heavy but by the third or fourth hill repeat, I was feeling really good. So I ran 10th St SW twelve times. Then I ran 9th Ave three times and also felt good. My breathing wasn't labored as it has been and my legs felt strong. I think I've been fighting a cold or something the last week or so. Cough, congestion, etc. Anyway, all good! Noah and Tom Woo and Alex from TriRochester were also cresting the hill. And Andy showed up a bit later.

All Comers.


What a BEAUTIFUL evening for a track meet. Crystal clear blue sky.


Pleasant temps. Low humidity. And the cutest little kids ...



William Strain


These little girls ran in their tutus. So cute!! These meets are just a hoot. There's no way you can be there and not smile. And they just love getting marker smiley faces on their hands. I started doing smileys a couple of years ago and now it's a tradition of sorts. It used to be an "x" and I decided to mix it up as smileys are more fun. :-) Lots of the kids want the smiley more than they do the ribbon.


The latest fad seems to be getting three smileys. :-)

Joann and Dennis Johnson finally got their cookies for the Who Is It? contest in the last newsletter. My bad for taking so long ...


Speaking of RTC News, another issue is now due and I don't really have much for stories. I'd love to have a couple. If you have something for me, please send it ASAP to newsletter@rochestertrackclub.com THANK YOU!!

I went down to the Education Bldg. the other day as I need a background check done. I've volunteered to help coach Joey Keillor's All-City Summer Running Program which kics off next week. Practices are held Monday and Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings. I'll help out every now and then ... Anyway, right now there are way more coaches than there are participants. If your high school student would like to participate, contact Joey at rochester.running@gmail.com or 282-2747.

Here's a pic of me on my new wheels. :-)

Here is the delicious blueberry bread recipe I've been baking lately:


Blueberry Tea Bread

2 Tbsp. sifted cake flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. chopped almonds

1/2 c. butter, divided
3 c. sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Combine the 2 Tbsp. flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, cinnamon and almonds; cut in 1 Tbsp. butter. Set aside.

Combine blueberries and 2 Tbsp. of the cake flour; toss carefully and set aside.

Sift remaining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Cut in remaining butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.

In a medium bowl, combine beaten egg, milk, and vanilla, stirring well. Add to flour mixture until dry ingredients are moistened. Add blueberry mixture, stirring carefully. Batter will be lumpy and thing.

Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the almond mixture. Bake at 350 for 70 minutes or until a test inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and continue to cool.

Time for bed. Good night. ;-)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice to see you today out on your hot new wheels! Hope your ride was fabulous!