Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday's Morsels

Just finished washing up the dishes after having my Cooking Light get-together at my house. My choices for the menu seemed heavily weighted to tarragon this evening. I think it got a bit overwhelming. I'll post photos tomorrow. Faves? Probably Kathryn's strawberry almond tart and the skillet veggies, and the rolls and the risotto were right up there. But I probably would skip the tarragon if I were to prepare it in the future. My chicken was pretty bland. The sauce was disappointingly uninteresting. And I wasn't too keen on the anchovy paste in the salad dressing.

Morning workout: A one hour ride on the Trek Madone. Got back about 30 seconds before it started raining. She's a beauty. And she's spendy. I just don't know what to do ... I followed that with a 5-mile hilly run, just under 8:00 pace. So all in all a good workout. This drizzly, dreary, cool weather is getting really OLD. I need some sun.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) evening is the kickoff for the 40th Annual RTC All-Comers' Track Meets. I might drop by sometime after they get started. We're going to try to have a Grandma's marathon planning mini pow-wow at some point during our weekly hill workout (5 or 5:30 at the S.F. Memorial if you want to join us). The meets are GREAT fun. I've been helping at them for more years than I can remember. Those little kids are just the cutest. You can't help but smile. :-) They start at 6:00 PM at the Soldier's Field track, west side. No cost, but you do need to sign a waiver the first night your child(ren) run.

There's a full-page, full-color Rochester Half Marathon ad in the most recent issue of RunMinnesota. It looks very nice.


Here's some info passed along by Kit Hawkins about some goings-on in Dodge Center:

Dodge Center Fire Department 1st Annual Kickball Tournament & 5/10K Walk/Run
June 19th 2010

Kickball Tournament
- Ages 14 and up teams must have at least five members age 18 or older
- Teams of 8 - 10 people
- Entry fee: $50 per team, $25 for emergency services teams
-$10 off registration for teams that attend in costume
- Awards for 1st place, 2nd place, and best costume. Winning team also receives their entry fee back

5K Run/Walk & 10K Run
- $10 Entry fee
- Participants will receive can coolie and refreshments upon completion
- Awards for top male and female finishers in the 5K and 10K
-Registration will begin at 7AM on June 19th 2010

Chili Cook-off
- No entry fee
- Chili judged by public
- Award for winner

Other Activities
- City wide garage sale
- Children activities area and events
- Beer garden and food concessions
- Bean bag toss

To register for the events or if you have any other questions call Jeremy Dostal at 259-4200. To register for the run/walk or if you have questions, call Frank Wilson at 319-0588.

Timeline of events
8:00am - Start of kickball tourney and run/walk
10:00am - Child and adult activities area opens
11:00am - Food concessions and beer garden open
12:00pm - 2:00pm: Public judging of chili competition
1:00pm - Kiddie bucket brigade competition, grades K-6

Well ... I think I'll call it a night. Good night.

No comments: