Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chesterwoods


I decided to be a volunteer today at the Chesterwoods 10 Mile and 5K rather than a participant. I think that my legs would have been OK to race, but I decided against it. And that was fine. After I finished my finish line duties I ran the course backwards so I got my miles in anyway! It was a good weather day for the race. A little bit humid, but no thunderstorms! It seemed like a good turnout.



I got to meet one of my bleaders, Mary, from Minneapolis. :-)


Tracy McCray was the official starter. She's pictured below along with race director Jim Mason.


Here she's pictured along with P-B columnist Jen Koski and her son Christian. I asked them about getting me a couple of recipes for the ALS cookbook that I'm going to be helping with and they agreed. :-)

An occasional mishap ... someone would trip on the power cord for the inflatible finish line gantry ...


which caused the thing to deflate. But it was quickly remedied. :-)


Congrats to Rob Mitchell for his 10 mile win and Andy Shulha for the 5K win. I'll post a slideshow tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning, OSS at Dunn Bros. Elton Hills at 7 AM. Mileage is pretty much whatever you want it to be. I'm putting some cinnamon rolls in the oven momentarily. Tom O' says there's a group hiking tomorrow at 6 PM at the third bridge at Oxbow if you'd rather hike than run.

Tuesday is the monthly social get-together at Beetles. Seems like we just had one. Time flies! No running required. 6 PM or any time after that. We're usually there for several hours. If you want to run first, we'll be at Soldier's Field to do hills starting at 5 or 5:30.

My planters are filling in quite nicely. They love the rain. Plants seem to like rain much better than water from a garden hose it seems. :-)



I had two lilac bushes in the corners of an area of flowers next to the back of the house. One died over the winter and the other was overgrown.


 One is now history (the dead one). I hacked most of the other one off, but it's still in the ground along with about 2' of the plant. It's going to take some work to get that thing out of there. I'll work on it some more tomorrow, weather permitting.

Well, time to wrap this one up.

Good night. ;-)

No comments: