Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Music, Music, Music

Matt's band concert on Sunday was cancelled due to bad weather. It's been rescheduled to tomorrow (Wednesday). There are lots of options for me for Wednesday: band concert, book club, moonlight snowshoe. But the choice is easy ... band concert. Here's Matt during Saturday's choir performance. This is Chamber Choir. He also sings in Concert Choir.


Matt's senior recital (trumpet performance) is March 27. There's a receiption afterwards and Matt asked me if I'd make some of my "famous cookies". You betcha. I can't wait. Matt just called. He had a jury performance today in front of the professors to determine if he passed his recital. He did! Whoop whoop! I'm so happy for him. He's worked so hard on this music. I look at it and am just blown away. BTW: It's open to the public. It's at WSU PAC (Performing Arts Center) in Winona.



This afternoon I made some "The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie" cookies (Cook's Illustrated) to bring to Matt tomorrow.


I was going through some boxes in the basement and came across this bulletin board flyer from 1985 (back when they printed everything and posted it on bulletin boards. Yes, the stone ages.) It was my second promotion. I'm in the upper right. Wow. I've changed. And look who's in the lower left? Fellow runner Don Gabrielson!! Small world.


Got a nice email from Andy Hemenway today with all the details about his trevails at the Austin Marathon. Wow. I don't think I would have even started. Major GI issues, no food or drink, issues on the course. And he still pulled out a 3:59:59. He's amazing. Kudos, Andy. You're my hero. :-)

Yesterday's workouts: 2 hours on the Stairmaster, one mile run and lots of shoveling. Today's workouts: 11.22 mile run (Salem Road, Mayowood Road, Lenwood Drive, Merrihills, Mayowood, Salem). It was early AM and the roads were not in good shape. The shoulders weren't plowed, and there was so much of that slippery brown slushy snow (snow and salt/sand). I felt like I was running in place at times. It was a tough go. I am now officially VERY sick of winter. I should have gone to the track. After work I went to the Y and swam 1.5 miles and lifted. That went much better. Conditions in the pool are very consistent, although the water felt cool today. But I've been a little "off" for a couple of days ... occasional chills, no appetite today, headachy. But this too shall pass.

Last night I had the Lace-Up Committee over for dinner for a post-mortem meeting. On the menu:

Chicken
Streuseled Sweet Potatoes (a Cooking Light recipe)
Apple, Pear, Grape, Cheddar, Pecan Salad (Cooking Light)
Walnut Bread (Cooking Light)


And for dessert:

Poppy Seed Cake


In attendance:

Laura

Laura, me, John, Jean

Amy (tried to escape the camera)

Lin, Sarah, Amy, Laura

Laura, Jean, Angie, Jean
We had very good discussion. Look for Version 5 of Lace-Up on February 12, 2012. It'll be the best yet. We will stay at Mayo H.S. That venue proved just ideal for us this year. We can't please everyone, but we'll do our best to please the masses.

Well, that's about it for today. Have a good one.

No comments: