Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Mitten

I had a mission on this morning's run ... that being to measure the 2-mile walk course for John for Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer. It's an out-and-back, but the start and finish are not at the same point, so a little math was involved. But first, I headed out and paused at Folwell Drive deciding whether to go right or left. I decided on left, toward highway 52 but I didn't really have a route or distance in mind. I headed left at 7th St SW in order to stretch the route out a little bit. I had a little disequilibrium this morning. Maybe still had some water in my ear? I don't know. Usually that's an inner ear situation and swimmers get water in the outer or middle ear. Whatever. On 2nd St SW, Chris Chen came up on me. He was eventually headed for Brothers to meet up with the other runners. I made my way down 2nd St and then made a left on 11th Ave. I stayed on it all the way to Elton Hills and then zipped over to 18th Ave and all the way up to 48th St NW. About 5.5 miles north. That's about the time I discovered that the wind was from the SW. :-) I was still feeling a little dizzy and eventually a bit nauseated from feeling dizzy. Still don't know what all that was about. I made my way over to Silver Lake via West River Road and decided to circle the lake to see how the half marathon course was looking for tomorrow.



The NW corner was very slushy. Dave Morrill assured me that he and crew have taken care of that! I made a complete tour of the lake and then headed down the bike path toward Mayo H.S. On the path I ran into Jim Benike.


He was running a 16-miler. He said he hadn't run more than 6 miles since August. The "10% Rule" doesn't apply to Jim. :-) I discovered that the port-potties were in place for tomorrow. And ... it "works".


Then I headed south on the Bear Creek Trail.


Then I finally made it to Mayo H.S. at mile 16.00 where I measured and marked the 2-mile course. It's "spot on". " :-0 I then headed home. Mileage? 21.50. It took a while, but overall I felt good. So ... what's with "The Mitten"?


Well they were coming on and off for various reasons all throughout the run ... eating a granola bar, taking pictures, getting water ... And I kept dropping a mitten. I dropped one in the middle of 37th Street NW. Someone in a pickup truck was honking and I thought it was someone that knew me so I waved. The passenger rolled down the window and told me I'd dropped a mitten. I thanked her, picked it up and continued on. Then at Silver Lake Foods I'd stopped to fill my water bottled and the manager handed me a mitten I'd dropped. Then when talking to Jim Benike, he stooped down and picked up a mitten I'd dropped. Then on the bike path down by Slatterly Park I'd stopped to take the photo of the geese above and ... you guessed it. Dropped a mitten. That's when I took the photo above. I'm happy to report that I made it home ... with both mittens.

After getting home, dinking around, and finally eating my "breakfast" oatmeal and blueberries and walnuts (I thought I deserved a few walnuts and a BOATLOAD of blueberries after all those miles) at 12:26 PM ...


I wrapped up the blueberry pie I'd made when I got up this morning ...


and headed to Mayo to stash a bunch of stuff in the teacher's lounge for tomorrow. We're going to have a nice little bake sale!! Please stop by before 10:00 and pick up some Valentine's treats!!



Laura, Kristin, Terry
On the way home I passed the DQ on the beltline. It's open. I decided to stop for a treat. The waffle bowl sundaes (plain or chocolate dipped) were on sale for $2.99. Two dollars off the regular price according to the menu. Quite a reduction. But I decided that it probably had too many calories and got a small cone instead. When I got home, I started in on the promised treats for the LUABC volunteers. Muffins.


Then I made a loaf of steel cut oat bread.


I wanted to put together a jam and bread basket. I've decided to donate a jar of red raspberry and a jar of black raspberry. So that will be the LAST contribution to the baked goods for moi. Oh ... except for the one LAST batch of cookies also for the volunteers.


I didn't have much appetite this evening but decided I'd have a salad for supper. Nothing too exciting.


The blueberry pie crust looked nice and flaky today. Of course, I can't sample it. Unless I buy it back of course! I think that would make Matt happy. :-) I always put just a pinch of baking powder in there to give it just a little lift. And I always put a tablespoon of sugar in it. And I use part butter, part Crisco. Well, there you have it then.

I haven't decided if I will run one of the races tomorrow. If I do, it won't be fast given today's mileage. Amy is my sidekick and she's eminently reliable, so that will not be an issue. I'll just see how the morning plays out and go from there. I do want to get out on the course for some photos however.

Good enough. Good night ...

No comments: