Sunday, February 28, 2010

Luv.2.Run

Some things just can't be explained. And today is one of them. I am not even going to post what my workout consisted of. Too many of you would give me grief, which you should! I don't know ... all systems were go. I just felt great. If I'd had the time, I'd have worked out all day. And I have to say that the sunshine, melting snow, and temperatures above 30 degrees certainly lift my spirits. Anyway, maybe it was the overabundance of calories I consumed yesterday that got me all jacked up. I think maybe even after running 20.59 miles, I might not have had a calorie deficit. More on that later.

Today the RTC News was calling. It pretty much took all day to finish, but it's done. I just, seconds ago, sent it off to the webmaster for posting on the RTC website. So look for it there in the next day or so. It's nice to be able to use lots of color photos. And so nice not to have to deal with all that paper. Saves lots of $$ as well by going to digital only.

I'm going to the RCTC indoor track tomorrow evening at 6 PM. Trevor is going to join me. Possibly Randy. And anyone else who'd like to join us is more than welcome ... you can walk, jog, run, do speedwork. Whatever trips your trigger. I leave for Florida early, early Tuesday (4 AM airport shuttle ... yikes!!) so I'll miss the regularly scheduled Tuesday workout. Possibly next week's too, but I will be at Beetles at 6 PM on 3/9. For sure!! Hopefully rested and energized from a week of serious downtime. I like to pretty much vegetate while I'm down there, other than when I'm running or swimming.

Classes starting at the Y: Boot Camp, 3/1 thru 4/9 M, W, F 5 to 6:15 AM. Kettle Bell Body Blast, 4/13 thru 5/21, Tues 6:30 to 7 PM and Fri 5:30 to 6 PM or Tues 7 to 7:30 PM and Fri 6:00 to 6:30 PM. I'd like to take that Kettle Bell class, but I'll be gone to Boston for part of it.

Angie Haugen is tackling the Rochesterfest Sprint Tri this year. You go girl!! She's doing the sprint with a bunch of gals from work. And Ross Hamernik said that he and his son Cory, a student at Mankato, are going to both run Med-City Marathon this year. This will be Ross's first running (but he's been a volunteer every single year) and Cory's first marathon. I'm excited for them.

I think the Grandma's half marathon lottery is tomorrow. My fingers are crossed ... I'd love to be chosen. But I've not had good luck with race lotteries in the past. :o(

I'm still thinking about this orange Trek. Gosh, it'd be a dreamy bike to own ... I think I'd call it my "dreamcycle" (kinda like that delicious dreamsicle at Brothers ...).


It's just so hard to spend the $$. Last night John Dinusson said, "It's worth it." It almost felt a little like spring today. I can't wait to get out and hammer on the bike again.

I tried a new recipe to bring to Laura's last night. Blueberry Crumb Cake. It was a keeper.


Cake:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder (yes, Tbsp. not tsp.)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. 2% milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Topping:
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. butter, melted

1. Coat a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in shortening.
3. Combine milk and eggs; beat until mixed. Add to dry ingredients. Mix lightly. Fold in berries. Spread in pan. (May be refrigerated overnight at this point.)
4. Preheat oven to 375.
5. To prepare the topping, combine sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly. Spread over batter. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean and topping is lightly browned.

So, back to last night. The LUABC committee gathered at Laura's house for a potluck dinner. Delicious food and wonderful company.



I thought Benjamin Schmitt's vest was cute.


Dr. Zhao, Kristin's husband, made the most incredible green beans I've ever had. They were prepared in the Chinese fashion--stir fried. Absolutely incredible. He used 2 whole bulbs, not cloves, of garlic. Green onions. Ginger root. White pepper powder. Salt. Sesame oil. He explained the whole process and the proper timing, but I doubt I'll be able to do it right. They were to die for. He's a very good cook. And a surgeon. : )

My plate ...

Everything was delicious. Mike made a curried lentil soup which was also delicious.

Laura presented each of us with a certificate and 100 Grand candy bar. So nice of her.

She deserves a huge amount of thanks for the countless hours she put into the event.

Then it was off to Mark Wernstrom's surprise 50th birthday party ...

and more food and drink. Here's me and the birthday boy.

Lots of running friends in attendance.


Barb, Gary, Ross...


Jim and Jim...

Three sisters: Mary, Karen, and Nancy.

Well, it's time to wrap this up. I need to remove myself from this computer. Here's a quote from Kermit the Frog: “Time's fun when you're having flies.”

Good night.