Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'm watching some event called Ski Cross on the Olympics. What a wild event. It's kinda like Motocross on skis ... 4 gals barreling down the hill, which is full of turns and jumps.

Here are Tom Woo's Sunday evening Byron photos. Tom O'Leary has also posted several slideshows from Byron gatherings on the Team R.E.D. blog. They are set to music.

Morning workout: run to the Y, lift, swim an hour, run home. Afternoon workout, washing floors, vacuuming, etc. Rather be doing something else, but it's gotta get done. I registered for the Grandma's half marathon lottery this afternoon. It will take place March 1. I've located a place to stay. I'm slightly tempted to return and try the full Grandma's marathon again after a disasterous run in 2009, but if I do that, Med-City would be backed off to a half marathon. I'll ponder it.

The snow was really coming down when I arrived at the field house this evening. It was quite pretty, actually.


Not too many weeks ago, it was dark at 5:00. It's nice to be adding a few minutes of daylight each day. As I was driving over and stopped at the stoplight by the mall, this teenaged boy crossed Highway 14 with two skateboards (he was riding one) and was wearing just a short-sleeved T-shirt and jeans. Brrrrrrr. I don't know how he could stand it. And he was heading into the wind. Tonight Bri and I both showed up at the track with running skirts on. Totally girlie and fun!!


After a 20-minute warmup ...


it was 2 miles @ tempo (or so) pace. I erased my lap splits (I'm used to being able to recall them after a reset when wearing my Garmin, but was just wearing a plain watch) but they were between 45 and 49 seconds and my time was 12:51 for 2 miles. Then it was a cool down (sort of ... I ran the straightaways and jogged the curves) and then "they" decided to do a 400 800 800 400 sequence. I just did an 800 and a 400. 800 was 2:59 and 400 was 1:24. Good workout. That last 400 I felt like I was going to pull both calf muscles and they were both cramping so that was definitely a sign that it was time to quit. Congratulations to Jim Li for placing 5th in his age group at a recent half marathon in Florida (I've already forgotten which one)!! He also agreed to write an article for RTC News (thank you, Jim!).

I brought some Oatmeal Walnut cookies (a new recipe, actually they're called Critter Cookies, from the Penzey's Spices catalog) to the track.


The Strain boys were eager to get a cookie after their workout (William ran a mile tonight!).


The big boys were happy to get a cookie too. :-)



I looked through the Shopper tonight and noticed this on the Rochester Produce ad:

I don't know ... I'm too close to 55 and really don't feel like a senior citizen yet (most days, anyway).

Supper was a salad ...

some leftover Brussels sprouts and some bread. I added some chicken lunchmeat to the salad 'cuz I think I needed some protein.

A little more Renee trivia:
  • I prefer Diet Coke over Diet Pepsi. And it's especially good with a slice of lime.
  • I've run 16 marathons.
  • I eat oatmeal with walnuts, a banana, milk and usually berries or Craisins EVERY morning.
  • I have naturally curly (and now, unfortunately, naturally grey) hair.
  • My favorite race distance is 10 miles/15K.
  • I'm 5'10". Too tall. It's very hard to find pants that are long enough. But what am I gonna do??
  • My majors in college were Math and Computer Science. Geeky. : )
I need to crash. I'm really dragging and it's been a full day. Good night.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Renee,
I registered for Grandma's half too!! I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us:)

Anonymous said...

Diet Coke all the way!! Do you still have that white plastic jug/mug from IBM? The ones we used for ice? When I started at this job, there was a guy walking around with one....ah, memories!

~Leslie

amber said...

I wanted to comment on your most recent post, but my computer did not seem to like that idea. I can't wait to hear about your experience with the Princess. It was my inspiration to break beyond the 5k point. I am working to run that with great success next year as my third half in one year. We are looking to go with a big group of runners from Rochester and elsewhere.

Best of luck! I hope for great weather, fun moments, and fast times.