Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Milestone Birthday ...

to Mark Wernstrom. The big 5-0 today. :-)

I just watched a very exciting cross country ski race on the Olympics. I have a lot of respect for runners and running, and I have just as much respect for skiers and skiing. I could just feel the burn watching these guys. Wow. What a race.

Back to Rochester. My day started at 6:23 AM when I finally woke up. I was first awake at 4:40 without an alarm, knew I had time to get to the Y for a 5:15 run, but heard on the radio that it was -6 and -23 wind chill. And my legs were tired. So I went back to sleep and got on the StairMaster after finally rousting myself out of bed. I think I got almost 8 hours of sleep, which is pretty much unprecendented for me.

This afternoon I got the oil changed on my car and then just puttered around the house. Don't know exactly what I did, but I kept busy! I did finally take down the snowman decorations in the house and put out a few spring things. And I got on the RRCA site and found a running group in Bradenton, FL that's doing a track workout on Thursday at 5:30 PM. I think I will join them. I've run with groups down there before (the other times were long runs, though) and it's always been fun. New weather, new route, new people to run with. And I ordered tickets for a Twins game on Sunday afternoon (1:05 start) which means I won't be able to hang out too long in Orlando after the Disney Princess Half Marathon (6:00 AM start). It's a 2 hour drive.
For supper I made some soup. Onion, cabbage, zucchini, a container of roasted pepper soup, turkey, hot sauce, s/p. Tastes pretty good. : )

My book club is meeting tonight, but I'm not there. I can't even remember what book they're reading. Next month we're reading My Life in France  and meeting at Kathryn's house. I plan to be at that one.

I got an email from Penny, the gal from Canada that I met a few weeks ago. She had the same back surgery that I had. She's doing pretty well, has good days and bad. I'm hoping for nothing but the best for her. She's still hoping to do her Ironman Tri in 23 weeks.

The best thing that happened today was that my khaki pants were loose when I put them on this morning. Fresh out of the dryer. Absolutely made my day.

Byron Team R.E.D. will be running in Rochester on Thursday evening ... 6 PM at Brothers Bar & Grill on South Broadway. 2, 4 or 6 mile run or walk. Please join us! It's always fun ... a chance to get some exercise and fresh air, make some new friends, eat some good food ... what else could you ask for on a Thursday night?? You might even get blogged!

Bri says that SkirtSports stuff is 40% off at Rochester Cycling & Fitness. I'd ordered one of those 1/2 price suits from SkirtSports online. It arrived today. Suits just don't last all that long in the chlorinated pools. It eats away at the fabric and it gets thin. And you can start to see through it. Not good. They even have a sign at the Y to check your suits for "thin fabric".


Here is the membership on the RTC board for 2010 (the bylaws were amended to include up to 13 members):

Wally Arnold (incumbent)
Amy Donahoe-Anshus
LaRee Etter
Lin Gentling (incumbent)
Ron Giles (incumbent)
Greg Hagan (incumbent)
Kit Hawkins (incumbent)
Sonja Kranz
Jim Mason
Jean Murray (incumbent)
Mike Schmitt (incumbent)
Kevin Torgerson (incumbent)
 
Thank you to Paul Melby (printer) and David Sletten (monitor) for donating equipment to be used by the new RTC membership chair Renee Kottschade.
 
From Dan Valentine:  "St. Mary's University Row Ride Run triathlon " on Saturday, April 24 at 9:00am. "A great beginners triathlon" Start Time: Saturday, April 24 at 9:00am. Where: Lake Park Beach House, Winona, MN. To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below: Facebook link

More Renee trivia:
  • I love fresh flowers. They are so cheerful.
  • I like Super Bubble bubble gum.
  • I am right-handed.
  • I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. They came in straight. : )
  • My favorite running shoes are the asics 2150 series. I've worn them for many years.
  • My favorite running socks are thorlos lite mini-crews.
  • I drive a Honda Accord. Silver.
  • I don't drink coffee. But I did have one cup at the TC10 finish line last fall. : ) Just never acquired the habit ...
  • My favorite energy gel is Vanilla Bean GU.
  • If someone handed me $100K, and I was told to spend it on myself, what would I buy? Granite countertops and wood floors for the kitchen. (I put a plywood subfloor in the kitchen, rather than chipboard, hoping to extend the wood into the kitchen one day.) A trip overseas somewhere. And a "makeover".  : )
  • I am 100% Norwegian. I spent a summer in Norway in 1977. I can speak, read and write a little Norwegian.
Quote for the day: "A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be."

Thanks for stopping by, friends.