Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Birthday ...

... to Wendy O'Leary (today, Monday). Hope you're having a wonderful day!!

My morning started with my Monday hill loop. It was really pleasant this morning for running. Chilly, but not too windy and much of the snow and ice had melted off the route, which was so nice. One of my few runs lately without my spikes. My feet feel light without them. It's really beautiful out by Mayowood, just east of the closed bridge, with the sun coming up, the fields of snow, the stone wall, the evergreen trees. So peaceful. So quiet. Good time for thinking ... or not thinking about anything and just enjoying being outdoors, doing something I love. There are even birds singing now ... mostly crows, but the occasional songbird can be heard as well. I did 5 repeats of the Lenwood Drive hill today and that felt good. That loop at the top had been terribly icy, but now the street is clear. The shoulder on 18th Avenue SW is now 2-3' exposed so I don't feel quite like I'm on the verge of being roadkill when running south. At that time of day, all the traffic is going north, right next to me as I run. With the extra hill repeats I had 12.25 miles when I got home. And in about the same amount of time it takes to run 11.20 with snow and ice-covered roads, and heavy, spiked shoes. A good run. Tomorrow at 5:30 PM, another speed workout at the track. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join us, whether you choose to run the speedy stuff, just run laps, or walk laps. We'd love to have you. It's supposed to be -5 on Wednesday morning. Brrrrrr. I'm getting weary of wearing so many bulky layers. It takes no time at all to fill a laundry basket with dirty running clothes. It will be wonderful to run in shorts, or a running skirt :-), next week when I go to Florida. It's been cool down there, but hey ... at least there won't be snow!

I see in one of last week's papers that Trader Joe's has no plans to come to Rochester in the next 2 years. Bummer. It would be great to have one here.

It's a slow news day, so I thought I'd just pass along some random facts about myself:
  • My middle name is Kristin.
  • I water ski goofy footed (my dominant leg, my right, in the front).
  • I have played the piano since I was 5 years old. And played the french horn for a short time.
  • I DO NOT like coconut. (It's like eating toenail clippings ... not that I'd know what that's like however.)
  • I like animal crackers dipped in a little peanut butter, dark chocolate, Kwik Trip creme-filled, chocolate-iced long john straight up (no nuts or sprinkles) after a 20+-mile run, and Cold Stone Creamery ice cream (but only a couple of times a year--it's got to be a real treat.)
  • I love reading cookbooks. Especially those old church cookbooks.
  • I sleep on the right side of the bed, as viewed from the foot of the bed.
  • I can't stand wearing makeup when I work out. (And don't wear much at any time, really.)
  • I wear glasses, but I never wear my glasses. :-) (No restriction on my driver's license.) No contacts.
  • I was born in Hinsdale, IL. I am the oldest of 3 children.
  • I have one dimple, right side.

  • I went Longfellow School for kindergarten (Downers Grove, IL).

  • I went to Pierce Downer School when I was in sixth grade.

  • I graduated from Downers Grove North high school in 1978 and Luther College in 1982.

  • I made one of my favorites, Brussels Sprouts, for dinner.


  • Grandma's Marathon this year was my personal worst race ever. 
But fun afterwards.


  • TC10 last year was probably my best race ever.


  • I've got a rosemary plant that's at least 5 years old. :-) I told you ... these were totally random!
Enough of that already. It's been a contemplative day. Every day ... don't put off for tomorrow what you can do, or dream, today. Follow your dreams.

 ... each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride  (If Today Was Your Last Day -- Nickelback)  Play It

Good night. Sleep well.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing:)