Monday, February 15, 2010

Clean Up

It's high time I clean up my "to be posted" list and pass along this info to all of you.

LUABC:
I forgot to mention that my shoe came untied at mile 3. Just another little hiccup. :-) If any of you have feedback on the event, either as runners or volunteers, please pass it along either to myself or LUABC. We can improve only if we know what needs to improve. Race results are now posted on the LUABC website. Here are some photos from Jim Li, miles 2 and 12:



Breaking News (from Tom O'Leary)
Associated Press
02-14-10

On this 14th day of February, Two Thousand and Ten, having finally achieved my life long dream of beating Tom Woo in a race of any distance (never mind that this was his 2nd race in 2 days), I, Tom SLO'Leary officially retire from road racing, auto racing, hot air balloon racing, go-kart racing, downhill ski racing, horse racing and any other form of racing that comes to mind. However, I'm still in for another trip to Living History Farms!

Having announced this retirement, I will continue in my role with Team R.E.D.(Run. Eat. Drink) less the R portion. Thank you.

OSS
We were out running on Saturday and there was a guy taking photos during the beautiful hoarfrost. He was over by the Civic Center and snapped one of us. We saw him a couple miles later over by the golf course. Then we saw him at Panera and he talked to us for a couple of minutes. I gave him my email address so he could send a coule of photos. Here they are:

Trevor, me, Randy, Andy
There was frost EVERYWHERE
Saturday, the long runs will take place at the RAC on Saturdays at 7:15 AM (I think. I'm double checking with Lin.) Last week Thursday at Beetles, we were talking about getting together after the long runs for breakfast like we do with OSS. I am totally on board with that idea! Stay tuned. On that note, I heard on the radio that Brothers has punch cards for breakfast and lunch. Get x number of punches and get a free breakfast or lunch. A free walnut pancake sounds mighty good after those long miles. Segue to the Y today at noon ...
I ran 5 miles with the guys.  (KC, Don, Jim, me with my wild Winterbegone Du hat) When we got back to the Y, there was a gal getting ready to leave and she asked if we run on Saturdays from the RAC (I do/will). She's going to run Grandma's as her first marathon. Good for her!! I guess I'll see her on Saturday. :-)
The lottery for the Garry Bjorklund half marathon begins on Wednesday. I'm thinking about trying it this year. Maybe. I found out from one of the gals at the front desk at the Y that my photo is one of 3 on the cover of this year's Med-City marathon brochure and poster. It's not my best photo but that's the way it goes.

Heard from Jim Benike. He's going to Curacao this week so he can't be at the Y to run. Here's a photo he sent, saying he sumitted their highest mountain. Not sure who the gals are.



Jim also sent an Ole & Lena joke. It's clean, and timely. Here it is:

Government surveyors came to Ole's farm in the fall and asked if they could do some surveying. Ole agreed and Lena even served them a nice meal at noon time.

The next spring, the two surveyors stopped by and told Ole, "Because you were so kind to us, we wanted to give you this bad news in person instead of by letter.

Ole replied, "What's the bad news?

The surveyors stated, "Well, after our work we discovered your farm is not in Minnesota , but is actually in North Dakota !"

Ole looked at Lena and said, "That's the best news I have heard in a long time, why I just told Lena this morning, I don't think I can take another winter in Minnesota ."

Mark Mueller sent along this link to photos from the 2010 Tough Guy Challenge. This looks like quite an undertaking (5000 racers, 600 of whom didn't finish) to complete. The photos in the link are really amazing.

From Jean Murray: The RTC board is going to try to pull in more volunteers for lead roles on recurring club events & tasks. 

  • RTC Aid Station Lead for Med City Marathon (Memorial weekend)
  • Picnic planner/facilitator (August)
  • Polar Bear Fun Run & Luncheon planner/facilitator (between Christmas/New Years)
  • Bear Creek Race Director (early November)
  • Grand Prix Sponsor Liaison
  • RRCA Liaison
  • 2011 annual meeting & banquet planner (Jan/Feb)
  • 2011 Race Director Training Facilitator (March)
  • 2011 webmaster (shadow David Sletten in 2010)
RTC is looking for a donation of a monitor and printer that would be compatible with a reconditioned desktop PC (an HP mini-tower, with XP Pro , 1 GB memory and 100 GB disk). This equipment is designated for use in managing our membership roster.

 Please contact Jean if you are interested in one of these positions or would like more information or if you have a lead on a laptop.

Tomorrow at 5:30 PM it's back to the track. (This morning I drove to the Y and lifted and swam. Ran at noon.) I think I'm going to mix it up a bit and wear my black running dress. Just for fun. And to remind myself that eventually, summer WILL reappear. :-)

Until next time, I'm Ramblin' Renee.

No comments: