Saturday, February 20, 2010

It feels so good ...

... to be sitting down!! I'm watching the Olympics with Eric. 2-man bobsled and now long-track speed skating. Let's go back to the beginning to this day.

I started running about 5:40 AM with a 2-mile warm-up :-) before meeting up with Andy, Paul, Randy, Tom, Tom. It snowed about 1/2" overnight, so all the patches of ice were hidden, and it was slippery. And today of all days, I decided NOT to wear my spikes. Go figure. The 5 of us headed out Valley High Drive to the IBM property and made 2 loops around the perimeter road. For some reason, the conversation centered around bathroom habits and the hallucinogenic properties of Paul Melby's chia seeds. I don't know about you guys. We got in 7 miles before arriving back at the RAC to meet the rest of the morning runners, which numbered close to 60. Great turnout in not-so-great conditions (though it was 22 degrees and not windy, which was pleasant).

Our prescribed route was Valley High Drive to 7th St NW to the lake, a couple loops around the lake and then back to the RAC via Assissi Heights. Thank you Roger Heil for singlehandedly handling the water stop for us today. You rock!!


By the time I got back to the RAC, I had in 18.12 miles. I got out my banana bread to share (gave away 4 small loaves and cut up a big loaf) which took just enough time for me to stiffen up. I'd really wanted a 20-miler, so when I got back outside (and finished talking again) I met up with Andy who by this time also had in 18 and we headed back to highway 52, turned around and headed back. I wanted to push it that last mile, getting used to running on tired legs. There is a bit of a downhill that first tenth or so, but we pushed it the whole way back. By the time we got to back to the RAC, my GPS said we were doing 6:41 pace. DECENT. Then I headed home to make yet another batch of banana bread ...


and not one to leave well enough alone, decided to had back out while the banana bread was in the oven. I felt really good, actually. By the time I got home, after running a few hills, the total for the day was 24.08. DECENT. And I'm not hurting. :-) But I definitely need to start wearing some new shoes. The ones I've been wearing (all winter, actually) feel really, really flat and lifeless. After being on my feet much of the afternoon for the wedding, I am soooo happy to be sitting. Tomorrow will be a swim day. What's made me happy today? 1) Something really weird. The times when my ears pop and unplug so I can hear again. I'm still fighting a cold/cough, but it's definitely improving. 2) When I got a text message YET THIS MORNING saying that someone had already eaten his whole loaf of banana chocolate chip walnut bread!! Which meant of course that he really liked it. Or possibly he was starving to death. :-)

The wedding was very nice and went without a hitch. Well, of course they did get "hitched". The flowers were just beautiful. Lynelle Webb of Everyday Bouquets did them.



Luann, the bride's mom, made this neat box for cards. She took all their engagement photos and decoupaged them to a box.

By the time I got all the janitorial stuff done, stopped at HyVee for some fat free half & half for the soup for supper, it sure seemed like it'd been a very full day. By the time supper was made, it was about 7:00 and I was STARVING. I made Eric's requested turkey wild rice soup ...


and a new recipe for onion & cheddar biscuits (both caramelized onions and green onions).


So what's on my dance card for tomorrow? Well, no dancing actually. But it sounds like there may be karaoke on tap for the Team R.E.D. party tomorrow evening at Bear's Den. Tom O' says that 34 are coming. Should be fun! And Matt has a band concert in Winona at 2:00, so it'll be another full, but fun, day.

Well, I think I'll floss and brush and call it a (good) day.

Good night.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Nice run today, we finished strong.... and I think I could run another 20 now, except Ohno is on.Did you run to kwik trip for your donut while the banana bread was baking? You deserve 2.

Unknown said...

I ended my run at my house instead of running back to the RAC and heard from a friend that I missed out on baked goods from Renee...ultimate disappointment!! I heard the banana bread was delicious and I will now always return to the RAC so I don't run the risk of missing out on Renee goodies :)