Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day

I voted? Did you?? It's a privilege to vote and I think we should all exercise it. I will be happy when we no longer have campaign signs EVERYWHERE.


Speaking of exercise ... I do NOT have another workout in these legs today. I'm pooped. NO Stairmaster tonight. (Famous last words ... ) Last night I got on the Stairmaster about 9:00. This morning at 6:30 I ran 12.13 miles. Wore my new capris. They work great. :-)


There were 11 wild turkeys across the street when I got home.


I dropped off my car at the Honda dealer after work to have the timing belt replaced (big $$ ... but recommended at the age of my vehicle), so I ran to my polling place (Autumn Ridge church) this afternoon. It's about 4 miles round trip. Then I had to go get the Accord, so I biked up to the Honda dealer. Crossed highway 52 on 41st St NW about 5 PM. Wow ... that was interesting, especially clipped in on my racing bike. I don't think I'll do THAT again if I can help it.

Want a toenail update? You're not going to believe this, but my toenail still "lives" on on someone's dashboard!! Ha!! So funny ...


Looks like it might be decaying or something ...

I'm making cookies for John Shonyo for the Bear Creek 5 prediction run on Saturday. It's only $8 for RTC members, $10 for everyone else. A bargain. And fun. Other running opportunites this weekend: The Grahaminator at Oxbow Park on Sunday at 9 AM (it's FREE!), and I don't know about Off-Season Striders (not sure if or where they're running yet since John and Jean will be busy with BC5).

I'm lifting this from the October TCM Mile Marker. Jerry is a very nice guy.


2010 Middle of the Pack Winner Profile: Jerry Williams

Each year at the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon, unsuspecting runners are pulled from the finish line chute and awarded a special prize pack for their accomplishment of completing a marathon. This program, Middle of the Pack (MOP), acknowledges and encourages the average runner by randomly chosing 'middle of the pack' finishers to get this prize.

Emily Pearson, a year-round Twin Cities In Motion volunteer, and her dad, Jim Pearson, have been involved with the MOP program for three years. "We hear of people who run because their doctors told them they would never run again, people who run for the fun of it, to accomplish something before they reach a certain age," said Emily. "It seems the stories are endless. These stories become very personal and it's truly a rewarding experience."

This year Emily and Jim randomly handed out 24 gift bags to MOP runners. The gift bag was filled with items including the book, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, the Spirit of the Marathon movie, a free photo from Action Sports International, Nathan LED safety strobes, a Road ID gift card, an iTunes gift card, a gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods, a Caribou Coffee gift card and other great Twin Cities In Motion merchandise.


________________________________


Meet 67 year old Jerry Williams from Rochester, Minnesota. He is one of the 2010 Middle of the Pack winners. He completed the marathon with a time of 4 hours 36 minutes. We caught up with him after the race to hear more of his story.

What was your reaction to winning a Middle of the Pack Award?


I was thrilled about it! I think the idea is great - you know many of us are not the first or best, but we do work very hard, and for you to take that extra step to recognize us is such a neat thing to do.


How was your race?


Lots of things clicked really well on race day, the weather was perfect and the crowds were just massive! So motivating! Such a good time on Sunday - WOW! And to be pulled out of line at the very end and to be individually recognized made this race so much more special, one that I will always remember.


How many marathons have you run?


The 2010 Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon was my 29th marathon. I started running after I turned 50 years old. I ran it as a "bucket list" sort of thing. It was either now or never at that point. I ran a marathon, and took four years off shortly after that and now I've run 29 marathons within a twelve year period. I've mostly run Grandma's Marathon and Twin Cities, but I have also ventured to Las Vegas, Chicago and even Athens to run, all of which were amazing experiences.


Why do you run?


I'm mostly just out to have a good time. I look at it as, if I can do enough training to get to the start line, I'll enjoy the run enough to be at the finish line smiling, not throwing up. I keep it simple.


What's your training schedule like? Where do you do most of your runs?


I average 700-750 miles per year, running 5 or 6 days a week. I'm not set in stone on a schedule, if it's raining or I don't feel well, I'll take a day off. I run because I enjoy it, the health benefit is an extra bonus. I have routes mapped out all around Rochester. I have a 4 mile run and 6 miler that I do regularly and also use the Douglas Trail, which is laid out with mile markers.


Will you be back to run the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon again next year?


Of course! I'm excited for next year - It's Grandma's 35th anniversary and Twin Cities 30th! I'll be running both races. I'm also running the National Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville, Florida in February. That race will be my 30th marathon! I'm thrilled for 2011!
One of my friends, and fellow River Runner race team member, Wanda, ran TCM as an elite this year. She's in the 45-49 year old age group and needed a 3:12 to run as an elite. I suggested to her and Anita the newsletter editor that she write a story about her experience ... and she did! Thanks, Wanda! She did a great job with the story, and at TCM. She's an excellent runner.

Made asparagus soup for supper. Just ate a 60-calorie Weight Watchers strawberry yogurt bar. Quite good. Now I think I'll put up my tired feet and go read the paper for a change.

I'll use the wording on the T-shirt I got at JCPenney last night for my final thoughts tonight ...


Make miracles real ... Love Boldly ... Trust in your dreams ... Listen to your inner Voice ... Widen your Heart ... Sing out loud ... Brighten the lives of Others ... The Miracle starts when you Believe.

Good night.

1 comment:

Team R.E.D. said...

The Grahaminator at Oxbow Park is Sunday, 11/2 at 9am.. meet at the first bridge (2nd parking lot on your left).