Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Out and About in Winona

Fun day! It started out in Kasson-Mantorville meeting up with Dick Daymont to get another signature for the quilt ...

Dick is the race director for the Zoom!Yah!Yah! indoor marathon at St. Olaf and is a very nice guy. He runs LOTS of marathons. Next up for him ... the new Birkie marathon up near Cable, WI, then the next weekend TCM and finally Mankato in late October. Run, Dick, run!!

Then in the afternoon it was off to Winona to meet up with Matt and his cycling club. Only one other rider showed up ... David who's from St. Paul.






We rode up through SMU and then up a really long hill (Gilmore Valley?), up across 43 near 90 and eventually down through Pleasant Valley for about 27 hilly and VERY, VERY windy miles. I seem to have a perpetual case of windburn on my face.

Then it was off to Jefferson's for a quick sandwich before viewing the Running America movie about Marshall Ulrich and his run across America.

That was quite a feat. I don't remember all the statistics, but he averaged more than 55 miles/day and I think it took him 55-60 days and about 115 pairs of shoes. He's quite an accomplished ultra runner. The movie was enjoyable, but lots of politics was interspersed in the story, which was very distracting. It was filmed in the fall of 2008, just before the election.

I met up with Tom O', Hurricane and Andy B. at Brothers after the movie for a few laughs. :-)

Before I met up with Matt, I made a few stops in Winona. The bike shop (Adventure Cycle, which was very nice) ...

Bloedow's Bakery (which was very nice!) ...

and Rochester Wholesale Fruit which I have to return to. I didn't have much time, but it was a very interesting store. Mostly bulk foods that were prepackaged and quite and interesting selection.



Pasta
Cake decorating supplies

Even the marshmallows that come in Lucky Charms
So ... that was Tuesday. Now it's time to get on with my Wednesday. Have a good one!

No comments: