Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Beauty of a Day

What a beautiful fall day it was! I started my day with 2 hours on the Stairmaster. My legs were TIRED so it was a tough workout. But I got it done. About 5:00 PM I ran down to the hills/track to see who was there. Dawn was running the hills and ...



Tom O' and Lori were running the track.


Tom Woo arrived a short time later to do some speedwork. Tom O' ran for the hills after doing some trash talking with Woo re: TC10. If Woo beats O'Leary, Woo buys lunch. If O'Leary beats Woo, Woo buys lunch. :-) There were some emails exchanged yesterday about some sandwiches under the seat in Woo's car ... I don't think that's considered "buying lunch!"


Slow but sure I got in 5.01 miles. Tom O' said that he could see I am getting fat. :-) Tomorrow: lift and swim in the am. Long bike ride in the pm.

I'm still unsure about TC10. Yesterday I'd have said I was going to bag it. Today I'm pondering the idea of a walk/run ... just take my time and enjoy the day. I'm sure I'll change my mind several times between now and Sunday. My race number is 11109. I'm in corral 1. I was last year as well, and it's a great place to be. It wasn't crowded at all and I was immediately on pace ... didn't have to weave around a bunch of people before finding others running my pace. However, this year if I run/walk I'll be passed by thousands of people before being surrounded by those going my pace. I just don't know what to do. For kicks and giggles I went back to see what last year's time and splits were: 1:09:45 and splits of 6:34 6:41 6:58 6:43 7:01 7:08 (hill) 7:07 (hill) 6:54 7:05 6:50. It was the race of my life. 2nd out of 251 in my age group (45-49). 41/3543 females. 226/5797 overall. Maybe next year.

Some of you might know Larry Pederson (long hair, ZZ Topp-like beard, not the clean cut Larry Pederson of Rochester fame) of Zumbro Falls who's the race director for this past weekend's In Yan Teopa 10 mile trail race in Frontenac as well as the Superior Trail races. Their house was devastated by the floods of last week. There is an article in the Post-Bulletin about him. I feel terrible for their loss, as well as everyone who lost their homes in the floods.

I stopped by Rochester Cycling & Fitness today after work. Skirt Sports attire is 50% off (though there's not much left in size small if that's what you're looking for) and all clothing, socks, gloves and shoes are 20% off. I don't know how long the sale lasts. I picked up some "lobster" gloves and leg warmers (so I can continue to wear shorts with the warmers and don't have to buy tights!).



I picked up a My Panera card within the last couple of weeks. It's like a frequent flyer/buyer card. You accumulate points with your purchases and get something free every now and then including your birthday ... (Jacki Devine from St. Cloud emailed me today ... we share a birthday!). I registered mine online today and just for doing that you get a free sweet of your choice. I was at HyVee so I went next door and got a cinnamon roll. I tore off a bite-sized piece but didn't care much for it. Not worth the calories so I don't think I'll finish it. Should have chosen something different. Live and learn.

Got my teeth cleaned today (and no cavities :-) I love that smooth feeling of freshly scraped and polished teeth. :-)

I saw this recipe in the Penzey's Spices catalog. It sounds delicious, and healthy. Sometimes these bars are just loaded with oil.



Granola Bars
Judy says, “This recipe is great for using leftover fruit or nuts or whatever is in season.”

2 Cups old-fashioned or instant oats, uncooked
1 Cup flour
2⁄3 Cup dried cherries/blueberries/craisins/raisins
1⁄2 Cup chopped almonds/pecans/walnuts
3⁄4 Cup packed light brown sugar
1⁄2 Cup toasted wheat germ
3⁄4 Cup ground flaxseed meal
1 TB. chopped CRYSTALLIZED GINGER (optional)
1 tsp. CINNAMON
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1⁄4 Cup vegetable oil
1⁄2 Cup honey
2 Cups finely chopped apples or pears (optional)
2 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease very well (or spray with non-stick spray) a 9x13 metal baking pan. Glass works, but the bars are a bit harder to cut. In a large bowl, using a spoon, mix together the oats, flour, dried fruit, nuts, brown sugar, wheat germ (if using), cinnamon and salt until well-combined. Stir in the oil, honey, apples or pears (if using), VANILLA and egg until blended. Get your hand damp and use it to pat the mixture into the baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the edges turn pale golden. Cool completely in the dish on a wire rack. When cool, cut into 12, 18 or 24 pieces. Wrap the pieces in plastic wrap or foil and put in zip-top bags and freeze. To eat, unwrap, place on a microwave-safe plate and thaw at high for 1 minute.

I have one R.S.V.P for O.S.S. (Off-Season Striders) at my house at 7:30 on Saturday morning, Oct. 9. Nacho!! RSVPs aren't required, but it would be nice to have a general idea of how many to cook for. If it's like other years, it'll be 35-40. Email me if you're thinking about coming. All are welcome whether or not you run!! Future dates: October 16 (Panera South), October 23 (Dunn Bros. on Elton Hills Dr) and October 30 (Brothers--my personal favorite).

Let's hope the Twinkies can pull out a win this evening. They're in a mini-slump of sorts. Go Twins.

Good night.

1 comment:

Team R.E.D. said...

That Tom O' guy is a nice guy!