Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kudos!!

Kudos to all of you doing multi-sport events today, and there are a LOT of you! My friend Kathy Carlson from St. Cloud (actually Waite Park) is competing in her first Ironman in Madison, WI. She might still be on the course. I don't know what the start time was. I can't wait to hear about it! Square Lake Long Course--I heard from several people that Jen Bradt ROCKED it!! Trevor said she won her age group and was third woman overall. Wow! He said Peter Maves took 4th overall and was first for the non-elites. In the Square Off, this year Trevor finished before Dan. And kudos to Mike Schmitt for completing his first Half Ironman!! I've been looking for results but haven't found any yet.

I rode up to Pine Island and caught some of the awards ceremony for the Treadman Duathlon. Lots of familiar names getting age-group awards ... Congrats to all of you! I took a couple pix ...

Wendy, Bill and Zach Nevala
Mederic and Joanna Hall (Joanna was first female!!)
Back to my ride. When I left I thought it felt a little cool, so I decided to wear arm warmers.

My arms look REALLY weird in that shot for some reason. Must be the camera angle. My forearms look bigger than my upper arms. Anyway, I only needed them for 10 miles and then I tucked them into my shorts. On the way out to Salem Corners, I saw 5 guys roller-skiing.


One of them was Henry Walker and  friend so I chatted with them for a while and snapped a couple pix. Henry is in the front.



They were going to Salem Corners and then back, about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour skate/ski he said. We talked a little bit about all the multi-sport events going on today too. On the way to Byron on County 5, I got a little snap-happy with the camera. :-)




I rode to Salem Corners and then all the way to the end of Salem Road before heading up to Byron and Pine Island on County 5. Then to Douglas on County 3 and up Genoa hill.

Today I noticed how much steeper it is at the top, but still ... no problem getting up there. I just couldn't get into this ride for some reason. Just kind of fought it the whole way, and the wind really picked up and I got tired of fighting the wind. So it was a measly 63.47 miles. Not as much as I'd wanted (about 75 to 80) but I just didn't have it in me to go any further. My legs were not tired, but I think my brain was.

OK, if you're squeamish, scroll down quickly. This is the latest view of my dead toenail. I think it'll fall off soon. After I took this, I put some polish on it so it doesn't look so bad.


For supper I roasted some beets ...

and Eric spruced up a HyVee deli pizza.

He added spinach, red onion, sweet red pepper and goat cheese.

I made race director Sharon's updates to the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon website. It's all set up for 2011 registration. I highly recommend this marathon. (BTW: It's paved ... not dirt trail.) There were lots of BQs and PRs there last year and it's a bargain. Custom medals, l/s tech shirts, great post-race food. Sign up ... today!! Holdingford to St. Joe ... fast and flat. :-)

Cooking Light tomorrow night. My assignment was "chocolate dessert" so I decided on this ...

Double Caramel Turtle Cake. I made the cake layers tonight and I'll finish it off tomorrow. Also made 5 dozen cookies for the Cookies of the Month folk to be delivered tomorrow noon. Enough baking for today.

Good night.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Thanks for the praise Renee. It was a great race and quite the adventure. I'll you all about it at Team RED on Thursday!

http://www.vacationsports.com/sqlklongresults2010.txt