Friday, July 1, 2011

Hot Town Summer in the City

From the Lovin' Spoonful ...

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting burnt and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head ...

Ain't that the truth??!!

I started my day with a bike ride at 8:00 AM and it was already 85 degrees, windy and humid. The wind wsa from the SW so I headed west and (mostly) south for 20 miles and then turned around and headed home. I had two water bottles, one a large one, and drank every drop and I wanted more.







The red-winged blackbirds were out in force today. There were so many of them and they were repeatedly dive-bombing my helmet. I tried to snap a picture of one right over my head, but I kept missing. 40.36 miles in total. Not so much fun heading into the wind  :-( ...


but OH SO MUCH FUN heading north!! :-)


I forgot part of my day in yesterday's post. I lifted, swam for an hour and ran 2 miles (BEFORE the Dr. appt.) before work.
 
Today after my ride, and icing my knee, and eating my oatmeal, I mowed the lawn. I was just drenched in sweat. But it needed doing, so I did it. Then as a reward I went to the Y to swim laps. Boy did it feel good to get in the pool! Swam freestyle for 45 minutes. By then I had pretty bad leg cramps so I left. I think I was/am dehydrated.
 
I'm helping Kevin at the Summerfest runs on Monday since I can't run. Speaking of running .. it isn't torture being told not to run for 2 weeks. For the last 10 1/2 months, running has been equated with pain and disappointment. Three marathons which I am not proud of, and a 5K and a 10K which were slow. It's really been hard to be fired up about running and training this year. But I'm hoping that things come around and sometime before the end of the year I can get in shape.
 
Speaking of running ... there's a one-day special on July 18, the 30th anniversary of the marriage of race directors Peg and Wally Arnold. You can sign up to run the half or full marathon on THAT DAY ONLY for $30!! A bargain!! Speaking of 30 ... thank you Jerry Goodrich for giving 6 weeks of Tuesdays each summer for the last 30 years for the youth of Rochester and being the official starter for the All Comers' track meets. I dare say there are probably some second generation runners that have seen the infamous red cap signal the start of each race. :-)
 
Well, I suppose I should go an be productive. Happy 4th of July weekend!! Be safe. Be patriotic. Talk at you tomorrow ...

No comments: