Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Ride, In Numbers




Dodge County Road 16 west of Wasioja ... not great for cycling

It was just a PERFECT day for a bike ride. Overcast, pleasant temps, no wind. And I wanted to do a long one today ... so I did! And I felt great. Better than yesterday's 60 and MUCH better than Friday's tough 40. Here's my ride in numbers ...

0: Fellow riders. I rode solo.
1: Bale of animal bedding flew off a pickup and opened up on the road about 50 feet in front of me. Scary.
1: Number of red-winged blackbirds that screeched at me (took me totally by surprise) and got into my hair at the bottom of my helmet!
1: Number of riders I was able to catch and pass.


1: Number of Dave Duncan sightings.



2: Number of Quaker 90-calorie granola bars consumed. One at 40 miles. One at 100 miles.
2: Number of times I climbed the west side of Fox Valley Drive.
2: Number of dogs that half-heartedly chased me. No problem.
3: Number of times I went out to Salem Corners.
3: Number of Harley riders that waved as they went by. :-) I always enjoy a wave. And they waved first.
4: Number of large bottles of water consumed on the ride.
9: Other bikers seen riding.
28-33: Equivalent number of run-miles (depends on who you talk to. Some say 3:1 bike:run, some say 4:1).
50: The SPF of my sunscreen (applied twice).
112.26: Number of miles ridden.



My route took me to Salem Corners, Byron, Mantorville, Wasioja, Dodge Center, Wasioja, Mantorville, Pine Island, Douglas, Roch, Salem Corners, Rock Dell, High Forest, Roch, Salem Corners, and finally ... Roch. I knew I'd have 102 by the time I got back (I had to make a stop at home after the north loop to put beans in the crock pot) but when I got back to the history center I decided I felt so good that I'd make it the Ironman bike distance (112 miles). Wendy and Bill Nevala are encouraging me to sign up for IMCDA (Ironman Coeur d'Alene (Idaho)). I would absolutely love to be an Ironman finisher, but I am a terrible swimmer so that's what's keeping me from trying. One thing helped so much on today's ride. Food. Normally, I leave the house with little if anything in my tummy and I spend the whole ride wondering if and when I should eat a 90-calorie granola bar. Today I decided to have oatmeal and a banana before I left, and I had a plum, a slice of bread and jam and a cookie when I got back to the house at 65.60 miles. I think that made all the difference in the world. I also ate two 90-calorie bars on the ride, at 40 and 100 miles.

Looks like my camera lens has a smudge in the middle. Better clean it off. :-)

Have a wonderful 4th. And God Bless America.

No comments: