Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Chase

The morning seemed to be about "The Chase". It was a beautiful morning with winds from the NW so I headed north and west on my bike. Doesn't happen to often in the summer with prevailing winds from the south.

Salem Road

Salem Road ... interesting markings on these cows

Salem Road

Oxbow Park


Salem Corners, Byron, Mantorville, Wasioja to the end of Dodge County 16 at highway 56. 27.45 miles to the turnaround. South of Byron on County 5 these two big dogs chased me yet AGAIN. This time they really meant business. (BTW: The number on the mailbox is 1505.) It was all I could do to keep ahead of them. I thought one was going to take a bite out of my leg. I'd planned an out-and-back course and wasn't sure I wanted to go back by that place ... About a half mile past that first place another dog gave chase but didn't give it his/her all. And the red-winged blackbirds were very brave ... one landed on my helmet!! When I came back past the place that had the dogs, they weren't out. Yes! I decided to add another 5 miles to my route and when I finished I had 60.46 miles in. Such a pleasant ride. Much nicer than yesterday. Saw 10 other cyclists out on various parts of the ride. Most returned my wave, but not all. Still don't understand that ...

This afternoon I trimmed about 3 cubic yards of dead branches from the lilacs in back. Way more than I knew what to do with, so I emailed my arborist Ed Hayes to see if he could chop them up when he takes down my trees next week. Yes!! Good news.

Then I went to Aldi for some produce and hamburger. Matt and I had hamburgers on the grill, corn on the cob and watermelon for supper. Good 4th-of-July-Weekend fare. Then picked up my laptop. They had to reinstall windows but were able to save my photos. (I hope ... haven't had a chance to power it on yet.) $140. Ouch.

And now I'm baking cookies. :-) One of the simple pleasures in life. My life, anyway.

I'll close with some Lee Greenwood lyrics which are apropos for the weekend:

From the lakes of Minnesota
to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Texas
from sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston
and New York to L.A.,
well There's pride in every American heart
and it's time we stand and say:

that I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A. --Lee Greenwood

Good night faithful bleaders ... ;-)

No comments: