Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grateful

There is much I have to be grateful for ...
  • That I have an air-conditioned home. I can't imagine how miserable it'd be without it.
  • That I don't work outdoors for a living. In the heat of the day, it's almost hard to breathe. The air is so heavy. This weather just takes the wind out of my sails.
  • That I have a nice bike to ride. I'm enjoying it so very much and on days this it's much preferable to running. I rode 43.53 miles this morning and it was VERY foggy. My glasses kept fogging up and I came home with wet shoes. The sweat wasn't evaporating and was running down my legs into my shoes. I think I pushed a little too hard (passed two different guys ... one passed me again; the other didn't. :-)


  • That Jerry Goodrich has been the official starter at the All Comers' meets for the last 30 years. Yes, that's right. 30 years. It just wouldn't be the same without that booming voice, the tie-dyed shirts and that ragged red hat. THANK YOU Jerry!

  • That there is always enough food on the table. More than enough actually. Yesterday evening I worked the distribution shift at Community Food Response. Leftover food from stores and restaurants (Trader Joe's donates LOTS of food) is given to those who show up on M-W-F every week at Bethel Lutheran Church. It's not a need-based organization, but those that show up are needy. We work in the kitchen behind a counter. Two little girls put their hands on the counter and peered up at us in the kitchen. I just felt sad looking at their pretty blue eyes ... wishing that they didn't have to be there ... hoping that they had a home to go to ... and that it was air conditioned. But I will never know.
  • Thankful for any little measure of success in my life. I received my Boston Marathon finisher's book and certificate in the mail yesterday. I haven't even opened it. I wasn't terribly pleased with my time so seeing the time, in print, isn't a big thrill for me. But I am happy that I can run and that I have been fortunate to run Boston many times. One thing I didn't know until Rick posted it on Facebook on Sunday ... that I held the state record for the mile for 49-year old females (5:59 gun time ... 5:56 chip time ... I should have lined up a little closer to the front I guess!) until Sunday morning when Wanda bettered it. WTG Wanda!! You are running so well. :-)
Well, enough for today. Until tomorrow then ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's is VERY generous with local charities as well! Give them lots of business!

~Leslie