Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wipe(d) Out!!


I hung out with Dan Strain for a bit this evening (left). His goal was to catch me on the run. He did.

Andy Shulha enjoying cookies. :-)
I am totally, unabashedly ... Out. Of. Gas. Wiped out. Nothin' left in the tank. After hours housework, 32 miles on the bike, standing to make cookies, then doing a triathlon, these legs are DEAD. We did a 400M swim, just over 8 on the bike and a 2-mile run. My "hip thing" was fine, but my legs were sooooooo tired on the run. But I'm done for the day now. All good. Tomorrow will be a swim day. The cookies were well received this evening.

I'm considering doing a 1/3 Ironman at Waseca in August. People I've asked think I can do it. Hmmmm. I'm confident about all distances except the swim. One of these days I'll swim for an hour or so at Foster Arends and see how it feels. Then make the decision whether to do the sprint or the long course.

RTC newsletter assembly will be at my house on Monday at 7 PM. Let me know if you can help. There will be treats, of course. Possibly ...

Berry Cream Pie (raspberry or strawberry)
1 9" baked pie crust

1 package Dream Whip, whipped with 1/2 c. skim milk and 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat 1 8 oz. pkg. 1/3 less fat cream cheese with 3/4 c. powdered sugar. Fold in Dream Whip. Spread in cooled pie crust.

Mix one package strawberry or raspberry Junket Danish Dessert mix (at HyVee it's near the Jell-O) with 1 3/4 c. water. Boil one minute. Allow to cool some. Fold in one pint raspberries or one quart sliced strawberries. Spread over top of pie. Refrigerate. (I like this better when prepared with just 1/2 package Junket.)

Check out this NY Times blog entry about cooking and running with Deena Kastor and (cook) Mark Bittman. Thanks Laura Lenz for passing it along!

Happy Birthday in July to the following RTC members: Jim Backlund, Megan Barrone, Tim Burriss, Lionel Cheng, Mary Chestolowski, Ed Creagan, Leah Douglas, Jim Hannon, Susan Hanson, Gladdie Hebl, Loren Johnson, Sreenivas Koka, Ota Kuniaki, Audrey Lidke, Laura Meiners, Bill Mettler, Barb Ness, Scott Okuno, Paul Owen, Maureen Sanderson, Diane Witzig.

I've been asked to post the following: Dick Beardsley 1/2 marathon, Sept. 12th. Special Guest is Bart Yasso. (I've heard him speak a couple of times. He's a hoot!) Dick and Bart will be speaking at the spaghetti feed the evening before at the Detroit Lakes Community Center. Race website .

Quote for the day: "It's always too early to quit." --Norman Vincent Peale

Carry on.

No comments: