Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Jim, Jim, Jim ...

Today it was off to the Olmsted County Fair at noon for the annual Tom Thumb Mini Donut Run. We headed out to Bear Creek and Mayo H.S. before the donut indulgence commenced. And what's the Jim, Jim, Jim about? Well, pictured above (I'm in the front, of course) are Jim Postier, Jim Martinson, Jim Postier's son, Jim Benike, Gary Malat and K.C. Reed. While the guys went to buy donuts, ...

I checked out the Domestic Arts building, where the cookies are displayed. Judging was in progress, but I sneaked in anyway. I think they were done with cookies. No ribbons for me. Not a single one. But it actually didn't bother me. As long as my friends like my cookies, I'm good!! But I probably will try again next year. :-) After giving my cookie report to the guys, we set up this photo. About 2 seconds later that donut was in Jim Martinson's mouth. (I actually did eat one before this photo was taken. It was good, but one was enough. :-)

Then it was back down food avenue and all the associated smells of fried food and on our way back to the Y...

where the guys could sample the ribbon-unworthy cookies!! 4.51 miles on a beautiful summer day. I went out another half mile to get a nice round 5-miler in. :-)


This morning's workout was a 30-mile bike ride, out through Salem Corners ...

and up to MN 30 and back home. When I got back I still had 10 minutes before I needed to get in the shower, so I quick ran a mile to practice running on "noodle legs". I must say that I notice a calorie deficit more actutely on the bike than I do on the run. Today was another of those days where I was famished when I got home.

This evening I wrote an article for the Running Room August eMagazine about my Rochesterfeset Triathlon experience. Brought back lots of fun memories. So look for that in the near future in your Inbox.

I didn't make my goal today of sitting on the patio for a half hour. My bad. Too many things to do I guess. I'll try again tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow ... I'll be back at Soldier's Field pool bright and early at 5:30 AM, taking in lots of chlorinated pool water, trying to do these drills! But if they help me swim faster, that's what matters.

Here's a recipe passed along by my friend Margo. I've not tried it, but it sounds delicious. It's from Bon Appetit.


Napa Valley Cabernet Burgers

1 750-ml bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
1/4 cup minced shallots
9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons golden brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (15% fat)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil
1 cup (packed) coarsely grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
4 4 1/2-inch squares focaccia, cut horizontally in half
8 large tomato slices
2 cups arugula

Boil wine and shallots in medium saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 min. Add 1 Tbsp. butter and brown sugar; whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Mix remaining 8 Tbsp. butter and rosemary in small bowl. Set aside. Prepare grill (med-high heat). Mix beef, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup wine-shallot mixture in bowl. Form meat into four 5” squares or rounds. Brush grill rack with oil. Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 min. Turn burgers and brush with wine-shallot mixture. Continue grilling burgers until cooked to desired doneness, turning, brushing occasionally with wine-shallot mixture, about 4 min longer for med-rare. Sprinkle with cheese after last turn and grill until cheese melts. Spread cut sides of bread with rosemary butter. Grill, cut side down, until golden, about 2 min. (guess butter melts into bread). Arrange bread, grilled side up, on plates. Top bottom halves with burgers, then tomatoes and arugula. Cover with top halves.

Quote for the day: "Use what talents you pssess; the woods would be very silent if no bird sang there except those that sang best."

Toodles.

1 comment:

Jim Postier said...

What harm could such a small cute donut cause? Thanks for running with us and documenting my favorite run of the year!

Sincerely,

The "youngest" Jim...