Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Did It ... And Then Some!!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, Trevor was going to ride 80 miles today as he's training for Ironman Wisconsin in September. We decided we'd ride together today and I was thinking I'd do about 50 miles with him. The day dawned just beautiful ... sun, little wind, fairly cool. Perfect. We agreed to meet at the RAC at 10:00 AM and decide where to go from there.

As Trevor lives in Pine Island, he doesn't get to see the southern part of Olmsted county much, so we headed to Salem Corners and then south through Rock Dell on county 3 until the road ends a few miles south of MN 30. We saw lots of bikes out on this stretch. We then returned to Salem Corners, went west a short ways to county 5 and then north to Byron and up to Pine Island, right on county 3 and then got on the Douglas Trail. I really felt good on the ride-- my legs were and are just fine. But at about 50 miles, the tank was feeling empty. I needed more calories. I'd brought a pack of Power Bites (300 calories) but that just wasn't enough (but I'd gone farther than I'd planned). By the time I got home ...

I had on 70.27 miles. Longest ride for the season. Other than the calorie defeceit, I was very pleased! And absolutely starving! It feels so good to feel good. :-)

Here's our elevation (green) and pace (blue) chart (I'm not sure why the pace looks so close to zero much of the time.) It was a very hilly route.

For supper, I made lasagna and I make it as healthy (and easy) as I can--fat free ricotta, one egg instead of 2, 8 oz. mozzarella instead of 16 oz., one jar of sauce instead of 2, ground turkey instead of Italian sausage.

So here's my adapted recipe:

12 sheets Barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
One container fat-free ricotta cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 egg
Italian seasoning to taste
One jar pasta sauce
1 lb. ground turkey
Fennel seeds to taste

Brown turkey and fennel seeds. Spray a 9 x 13 pan. Combine beaten egg, 1/3 to 1/2 of the shredded mozzarella, italian seasoning and ricotta in a bowl. Spread a little (1/4 cup?) pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking. Lay 4 sheets of noodles on sauce. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture on the noodles. Spread 1/2 the browned turkey on the ricotta and then 1/3 the remaining sauce. Top with 1/2 the remaining mozzarella. Layer on 4 more sheets of noodles, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the turkey and 1/2 the remaining sauce. Top with 4 sheets of noodles, the remaining sauce and the rest of the mozzarella and the Paremesan. Cover with foil (spray with cooking spray first) and bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes. Allow to stand about 5 minutes before serving.

After supper, we had a Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer meeting here. Pictured below are Mike Schmitt, John Shonyo and Laura Lenz.


Angie Haugen, Kristin Zhao and John Dinusson.

Spotted on the run this morning on my way to church, speedy Marie Boyd.

From Andrew Becker: Here are some half marathon that he enjoys in Wisconsin...Tyranena Beer Run and Mauston Pumpkin Dash and Half Marathon and a race in IA Elvelopet 5K and 15K in Decorah, IA And a sprint tri in September that interests me: Devil's Challenge Tri Thanks for the info, Andrew!

Tomorrow, I'm going to swim in the AM, work in the garden after work and we have a Rochester Half Marathon meeting at 5:30 PM and I have a meeting with a bride (and others) at church at 7:00 PM. Another full day.

Well, I'm going to wrap this up quickly and watch the new episode of Ace of Cakes.

Ciao!!

No comments: