Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Power of Words

Today, I felt a bit like I was in a pressure cooker. Everywhere I turned I saw things that needed doing or someone that wanted me for something and I felt overwhelmed. I felt like I might implode (I tend to go inward when stressed, not outward. I'm not a yeller.) Unfinished landscaping project in front of the house (95% done--need one more yew), Matt wanted a haircut, the kitchen was a mess--AGAIN, Rochester Half Marathon entries that need to get entered in the database--about 40 of them, LUABC minutes to type up, phone calls and emails to return, Physical Therapy to do twice a day, work needing to be done at the garden, a house to clean, errands to run, dinner to prepare, movies to return, ... Yeah, nothing urgent, earth-shattering or overwhelming in and of itself, but I just was feeling stressed by it all. And I'm tired.

Then I stopped in at Olmsted Medical Center for a minute and a young man was opening the door for everyone who was coming or going.

I smiled on the way in and thanked him for opening the door. Same on the way out. I had walked a few steps toward the parking lot and decided to turn around and just say a few words. It was a beautiful afternoon and I asked the young man if the automatic door was broken or whether he was just lucky and got to be outside for work today. He said that actually he was a volunteer there. Then he said something that made me do a double take--he said that he and his brother considered me their "ultimate role model". Excuse me? I thought. I didn't even know this guy! He said that they see me at church and he mentioned the triathlon and cookie baking/marathon running articles about me in the paper. He said that his brother Brian was the one with the fastest swim at the Rochestfest Tri and he was 15 seconds behind. Ah! The Kiels! This was Alex Kiel I was talking to. Yes, I certainly had heard about these very talented swimmers from Century High School. Well he'd blown me away with his comment and absolutely made my day. Wow--the power of a few well-timed words.

Well, we got to talking swimming and I told him that my swim was certainly the weakest part of my tri (his is running he said) and I asked him if he had any tips for becoming a faster swimmer. He said it's all technique. The solution is not like running intervals, doing speedwork, hills, etc. is for a runner. It's working on form and efficiency. He said that a good place to get some help and advice was the Orcas Master Swim Club. I googled it and sure enough, one of the things mentioned on their site that the club can provide is assistance for triathletes looking to improve their swim. Perfect! So I emailed them to see what might time and place work the best for getting some help. They swim early mornings at the Rec Center and Soldier's Field pools. As I'm an early morning exerciser I think this might just work out! And I am so thankful that I happened upon Alex today. :-)

This morning I ran down to the Y to lift and swim. On the way down, Jamie Bakkum-Gamez and Erin Carey ran by. :-) We greeted each other. The pool was busy today. Most lanes were being shared. I asked a guy who was taking a breather at the edge of the pool in the shallow end whether I could share his lane. Sure! he said. He said that he understood that I was into triathlon now. Well, I didn't know him, but he obviously knew of me. He said that I'm "famous" and that he works in the same lab with Wendy Nevala. Another little word, just one, that sure made me feel good and brought a big smile from me. His name is Matt. We got to to talking triathlon (he's done both Rochesterfest Triathlons) and sports in general. I asked him what his sports background was--primarily water polo, and he used to swim to stay in shape for that and does a few running races and rides his bike to work. Nice guy. And he was a good swimmer.

Short stories long, or long stories short ... we sometimes just don't realize the impact our words can have on a person, good or bad. Today, it was good. So I am going to challenge myself, and I challenge you, to give at least one compliment each day. It's such an easy thing to do. And it's totally free. And whether or not it makes you feel better, you just might make someone else's day. :-)

Quote for the day: “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." --Leo Buscaglia

TTFN.

1 comment:

roentgen said...

Hey Renee, you are definitely an ultimate role model for many of us! :D