Wednesday, July 8, 2009

07-08-09

Yep, that's right. It's 7-8-09 today!!

Weather woes

And a gloomy, cold (62 for a high) 7-8-09 at that. The summer weather seems very sporadic this year. A nice day or two, then cool, wet and cloudy for about 5 days. I'm not liking this very much!! My son Matt just said the same thing ...

No pain = all gain

Yesterday was (to be) another down day of sorts in the workout world. So I swam for an hour in the AM, inside. Didn't count laps. About 7:45 PM or so I decided to go for a run. I was just feeling a little lazy. No GPS. No tunes. Just "me and my shoes" so to speak. So off I went for my "around the hill" loop hoping it would be painless, injury-wise. I got to mile 3. All good. Mile 4. All good. Mile 5. All good. (Even tasted my first black raspberries for the season on this run.) John Dinusson rode by on his bike at this mile and I stopped to talk to him for a while. We talked triathlon, mostly. He suggested trying out the group rides, specifically the Re-Cyclers who ride from Bamber Valley school at 6PM on Mondays. I just might have to do that. I used to do the group rides on a weekly basis 25 years ago. Then I took off again, still painless and I just say I was actually feeling a bit "fleet of foot". Good news! Mile 6. All good! Then my son Eric ran toward me with his tunes on. :-) That was fun! Mile 7. All good!! 7.15 pain-free miles. I was psyched! My fourth day in a row running. THAT hasn't happened in a long time. I am VERY pleased!

During the run, it was a good time to think, and my thoughts were running all over the place. I did some thinking about the triathlon. Right now, I'm in the smitten, head-over-heels infatuation stage in triathlon. Just loving it. Thoroughly enjoying the variety in workouts. It is proving to be rather time-consuming, however. But it's all by choice.

Today's workout was another ride on my 42.65 mile loop through Salem Corners, Byron, Pine Island and Douglas. I like the route a lot. Good shoulder most of the way. I don't much care for the rumble strips on County 3 south of Pine Island, however. And they take up all 12" of shoulder so there's no choice but to ride in the traffic lane. Anyway, it was cool and drizzly and humid, but I had a good ride. Actually it was my fastest average speed by .8 mph so I was pleased. That meant that I even had time to go run a mile when I got home so I could practice running on "noodle legs"!

Tomorrow morning, I think I'll run. Then it's T.N.T at 6:30. Hoping the weather cooperates.

Running Room news and notes

New at Running Room: Drymax socks


in 3 styles: 1) Running, 2) Running lite-mesh, and 3) Running Hyper Thin. I'm going to be trying the "Running" version.


I'll let you know what I think. They do appear to run big as I got a size small.

Rochester Running Room has guaranteed entries into the TC10 if you are one of the first 5 to sign up for the class. You will have to volunteer 3 hours and attend at least 50% of the sessions for the class. Also, a class is forming for the 10-mile Join the Journey walk. Both classes begin July 16 at 6:30 PM and will be taught by Cathy Torgerson and Judy Weller. You can register online.

All Comers track meets

All Comers was held on the football field inside the track last night, as there was a lot of standing water on the track. I really liked it on the grass! Despite the weather and track conditions, 191 purple ribbons were handed out. Next week is the last meet for the season. Hopefully, we will have nice summer weather for 1 meet out of 6!! Cross your fingers.







I've not been following the Tour de France very closely this year but Lance appears to be riding well. It doesn't appear to be getting the hoopla that it did a few years back, or else I'm not up on the news which could certainly be the case!

Well, I'm out of news for today. Thought for the day: "No one is in charge of your happiness but you."

Happy trails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt and I were debating how many miles was "around the hill." What is your around the hill route?

~Leslie