Saturday, July 25, 2009

Super Saturday

"My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day's a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride" -- If Today Was Your Last Day, Nickelback

Rochester Women's Race (4 miles)


(That's Sonja Kranz and myself ... it's a running dress from New Balance! Very comfy.)

That's what the Women's Race was today. I left my fears behind and decided to race. It felt sooooo go to be racing again, even though I do need to suck it up and hang on to my pace when I'm getting tired in that last mile!! The race was won by course record (22:58 in 1985) holder Marie Boyd. (Don't know her time yet. I had to leave early to go do a wedding.) I was third overall (passed by a very nice gal from Sacramento, CA in the last 1/2 mile..arghhh...I could hear her gaining on me) and 2nd in the 45-49 age group (winner Marie Boyd is also 45-49). My time was 27:10 Splits: 6:35 6:48 6:50 6:57 I'll take it. :-) I just looked it up and this was a PR for me, my previous P.R. being 27:56 on 7/24/01. Figuring a 7 minute pace for the last mile, my 5K split would have been 20:55 which is also a P.R. for me, my previous being 21:21 on 9/22/01. (I know the last half mile was the slowest ...) The 1 and 3 mile splits were off and during the race I looked at my watch at 19:55 thinking that was my 5K split. Oh well ... but I'm still happy with a 5K PR, too. A good day at the races.


I have to put in a plug for us 40 and older females: The top 5 runners were all 40 or older. :-)


Not one to leave well enough alone, at about 5:00 this evening I decided to do my long run for the weekend so I could do a long bike ride tomorrow. I haven't ridden much since last Sunday. So I ran up to 55th St NW and back for about 14.5 miles. Saw Jen Bradt on her bike. Actually, she saw me ... in the berry bushes!


(With the Women's Race, warm-up and cool down, I got in 20.93 for the day. The evening run was very slow and leisurely, filled with lots of black raspberry picking ...


and eating. :-)

At Christ Community Church parking lot, it looked like they were having a little car show so I wandered over. I'll call it "Muscle Cars & More".



A powder blue 1953 Chevy.


I'd LOVE to drive this sweet little Porsche. I looked at the spdedometer and it only goes up to 160.

A sweet Harley.

I've soooooooooo much more to post. To be continued tomorrow ............

5 comments:

russells said...

I bought my bike from Bicycle Sports, I have the WSD Specialized Dolce, I love it ...I told them I found it on the web for $75 less and they dropped the price that much. Excellent service, and they had no quam when I asked them to SAG the Tour de Dodge In Sept that I am putting on.

JenniferBradt said...

Super race time!! How fun I got a mention on your blog! I was out riding with my friend Sara. I had to work and after work we decided to take a ride. She didn't let me ride my tri bike, so it was the heavy old one, but what a lovely day! Would have stopped to say hi but we were trying to beat our time out. Love summer!

Unknown said...

Hi Renee,
you say...
"The 1 and 3 mile splits were off and during the race I looked at my watch at 19:55 thinking that was my 5K split "

I wore a GPS:
1 = 1.00
2 = 1.01
3 = .92
4 = 1.08

I had thought that i just pushed the lap button at the wrong time. Nice job on the PR. - and 14 miles later that day?? you're a stud. But, since i just got back from a 46m bike ride, i can understand the desire to want to get the long run out of the way to fit in a ride.
happy trails!
Carol, Sac CA

Ramblin' Renee said...

Hi, Carol. I don't know HOW you found my blog! I was hoping to meet up with you after you returned to the park, but had to leave for the wedding. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Rochester. It was nice to chat with you. And thanks for the info on the splits. I thought maybe I was hypoxic and wasn't reading my watch correctly. :-) You had a great run!

Unknown said...

Hi Renee,

Got an email from a friend the day after the race saying "congrats on your rochester race". turns out she was looking for results and mention of a "woman from sacramento" made her click on your blog. it was a trip! i made it back to the park late after the race...i'm embarrased to say i 'lost' my car in a 5 story lot. we had a great time in rochester! i did an early morning sunday run and it everything is so green there compared to sacramento in the summer. but given some of pics on the rtc site, i don't think i would enjoy your winters! take care and great meeting you. let me know if you are ever in sac and need a run, bike or swim...

carol