Sunday, July 12, 2009

TRAFFIC!!!


Returned from the Graniteman tri late this afternoon. Late is the operative word. Please indulge me--and let me get my bellyaching out of the way. The trip up to St. Cloud on Saturday took 2:22. Coming home today, just minutes short of 5 hours. It took 2 1/2 hours to get from St. Cloud to Monticello--YIKES!! This should have been a half hour or so. There was a sign on I-94 that the interstate was closed at highway 25. (Didn't know where this was.) Traffic was backed up for miles and miles. We all had to exit at Monticello/Highway 25, but there were no detour signs nor anyone directing traffic. So I had to make a hasty decision--left, straight or right at the exit? I chose left, heading to Big Lake. I got out my map as the traffic was backed up there too. 3 miles to Big Lake and that took more than a half hour. Meanwhile, I hear the sound of a freight train and I have to go to the bathroom--BAD--and I've had to for over an hour. Can you sense my growing frustration here??? Well, myself and approximately 500,126 other cars decided to head to Big Lake and Highway 10, headed for the cities. So now, instead of approximately 500,127 cars on the Interstate at a virtual standstill, we now have approximately 500,127 cars at a virtual standstill, and lots of traffic signals. Wonderful. So I pull off at a Holiday station to use the facilities, and guess what? Yup. There's a line for the bathroom. I guess it was just a "hurry up and wait" kind of day today, and there wasn't much I could do about it. Finally got home about 4:30. Left St. Cloud at 11:30. :-( At least there was a good Twins game on the radio. They beat the White Sox 13-7. A football score, with a missed extra point. :-) Of all people, Carlos Gomez had a terrific day with 5 RBIs.

To add to my frustration, after I got home I got an email from a friend in St. Cloud. Apparently my name was drawn after the tri for a door prize. A $500 HED racing wheel. Must be present to win. Guess who wasn't present because she never wins anything? Yup. Me. I'm just sick.


Graniteman. The lowdown:

My time was 1:25:38
7/39 in my age group
25/172 for females
13:59 for the 1/3 mile swim (ouch. terrible. more below)
1:53 T1 (much better than the first time)
45:59 for the 15 mile bike (very pleased--19.6 mph)
0:36 T2 (not switching shoes helps with T2)
23:24 5K run (satisfied with this)

In a nutshell, I was happy with everything but the swim. It bit me today. TOTALLY. It was very crowded and I just never got in a groove. After the turnaround, I got a big mouth and noseful of water. Treaded water for a few seconds and started back up and got more in the nose. Finally had to grab the noodles for a bit to compose myself and stop coughing and choking. It just wasn't happening for me. I couldn't wait to get out of the water. I swear that people from 2 other waves were passing me. Pretty frustrating. And now I have 0% confidence for doing a mile swim at Waseca August 2. I going to rethink the decision to try a 1/3 Ironman there, which is disappointing as I'd love to try the longer bike and run legs. :-(

The biking went well. Passed LOTS of people. There were just some rolling hills on the course--no "big" hill like at Rochesterfest. There were lots of corners however. There must have been at least one 90 degree turn per mile.

Run was a fairly flat out and back--just a few little rolling hills. Again, I passed a lot of people and felt strong at the finish. Overall, I guess I did OK. Still lots of room for improvment, though. Or maybe I should stick with duathlons (run/bike/run) ...

When I got home, I made supper (pork chops on the grill, another spinach salad, green beans and potatoes). Then I had to make 5 dozen cookies for the "cookie monsters". I totally forgot last week ... Then do my Physical Therapy. I'm beat.

Tomorrow evening: Two activities. I can only go to one, which will be my Cooking Light group. Our menu:

Appetizer: Nectarine and Radish Salsa--Laura
Soup: Cool Honeydew-mint soup--Barbara
Bread: Tomato Flatbread with Goat Cheese--Kathryn
Main Dish: Grilled Shrimp, Mango and Avocado (Pam: "I will have a few chicken kabobs too for those who are allergic, I spent July 4th watching someone go into full Respiratory Arrest from a food allergy, this is an experience I choose not to repeat. Almost changed the main dish but we will give it a try--Pam").
Side: Bulgar Salad with Edamame and Cherry Tomatoes--Renee
Salad: Strawberry-Basil Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette--Diane
Dessert: Raspberry- Rhubarb Pie--Mary

I've got to go to the store tomorrow for this recipe. I don't have: bulgar, edamame (frozen soybeans), fresh dill, fresh parsley, fresh mint in the house. Sounds interesting.

The other activity for Monday evening is a wood-fired (outdoor) pizza oven party at my friend Jay's house. It's for all the instrumentalists at church and their families. (Matt plays trumpet at church). I'm very disappointed that they're on the same night. This is a favorite gathering for me each summer.

I'll post photos tomorrow from the tri and the LUABC fundraiser on Saturday. I'm way too tired to do it now.

All for now.

No comments: