Thursday, July 30, 2009

This is July???

What a weather month it's been. Only 3 days with official highs over 80 for the summer I heard on the radio the other day. Today, barely 70 degrees. Good for running, that's for sure. Most summers we have to endure so much heat and humidity, even in the early mornings. Not so this year. I hear it's supposed to be a cold winter as well. Everything is still so green ...

I forgot to mention a little comment from the fair yesterday. When I arrived to purchase my entry ticket, the kid (teenager) who was selling them asked if I was a senior. :-0 Nooooooooo!!!!! I should have said yes and saved a buck. :-)

The price for the Rochester Half Marathon goes up Saturday. Get those entries in!! We also still need lots and lots of volunteers. Email Jean if you can help us out. Thank you!!
This morning, I was hoping to get up and go for a bike ride. But it was raining. So I looked at the radar online and thought that it might be through Rochester shortly and went and cleaned bathrooms. But it was still drizzling and I didn't want to ride in the rain so I got on the Stairmaster instead. It's been a while since I've been on that thing, but it was a good chance to get caught up on some magazines. It's still a good workout!! Tomorrow, it's back to the pool.
After work, I stopped by Running Room to see Peg ...

about Half Marathon online registrations. After I left I drove through the Y parking lot and saw "the guys" looking at something on top of Jim Benike's van.


It's a new kayak. One that he can stand up in. He intends to use it for hunting.


He had this accessory that he can put through a slot in the bottom and pedal his way through the water. That's one way to get your miles in I guess!

He also got some wheels so he can drag it around.
He said you can get big cushy wheels as well, kind of an all-terrain wheel I guess, for sandy conditions.
My next door neighbor called this afternoon and said she was bringing over some dinner this evening. Very nice of her. It was pork roast, potatoes, rolls, applesauce and a pie (blueberry, cherry, peach I believe). Very yummy.


Ted is doing very well. He's pretty much self-sufficient now. Only needs assistance with the occasional task that's easiest with two hands. He's been back to volunteering at Hawthorne Education Center (with Matt, actually, who's doing his service hours for Student Government) the last couple of days. He goes back to Mayo tomorrow for some follow-up appointments.

I'm going up to St. Cloud to run the Granite City 5K on Saturday. I'm a River Runner after all! And it's a club race. Should be fun. I'm bringing cookies. :-) M&M / Chocolate Chip. On the way home I'm stopping at a swim shop in Burnsville for some swim "toys"--flippers and paddles.

That being said, I've decided not to do the Waseca Tri on Sunday. I'm going to wait and do one on 8/23--either Baxter or St. Paul. They each have a 1/2 mile swim, which will be a challenge for me. I know I can do 1/4 (and have been doing it weekly at TNT), but a mile still terrifies me. So I think the 1/2 mile is a good decision. I'll keep you posted.

Time to get to bed. Intend to be at the pool no later than 5:30 AM.

Sweet dreams.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Renee,

Good Luck Tomorrow. A 1/2 mile swim will be much easier for you now. Establish a low head position, breathing higher to the sky stroke that will allow you to take longer more efficient strokes. That will help you endure and swim stronger longer. Best of luck!

Coach John Sfire - Orca Masters

Ramblin' Renee said...

Hi, John! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I decided to wait until 8/23 for my next tri. So I'll now have more time to swim with the orcas and hopefully get a little faster. Stopped by Elsmore yesterday for some swim toys. Nice store. See you bright and early on Monday!