Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

'Tis almost time to bring 2008 to a close. For me, that's a good thing. It's not been a great year for the running segment of my my life, so here's a toast to better things for 2009!

Looks like I'm going to be running in the New Year ... 4:00 PM today at Beetles on 2nd St SW (west of 52) for a beer run of 4-6 miles, hills included and welcomed :-) , followed by liquid libations. All are welcome to join us! I just might even have a brewski. I'm usually a wine or mixed drink kind of gal. A beer usually tastes best to me when the beer is ice cold and the temps outside are about 95 degrees and humid. Not exactly what we're "enjoying" today. I'll see what I feel like when we're done. Then tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM, I'll be joining Don Gabrielson and crew at Soldier's Field at 8:00 AM for an 8+ mile run, followed by the Resolution Run 5K at 10:00 at Running Room. Sounds like lots of photo ops for me!! Weather permitting, I'm going to try to get out on my skis on Friday.

Off-Season Striders will be running at 7:30 at Dunn Bros. on Elton Hills on Saturday. Mileage and course are TBD, but we know it's all really about the socializing, the coffee and the blue corn pancakes afterwards, right???

From RASC/ACNST (All-City Nordic Ski Team): The fundraiser will be on Friday January 23rd at Resurrection Catholic church (1600 11th Ave SE), starting at 5:00 pm. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. This includes an All You Can Eat buffet from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm, with Chicken Alfredo or Vegetarian Spaghetti with Marinara, Rolls, Caesar or Mediterranean Salad and Beverage, all catered by Victoria's Restaurant. This is a great opportunity to bring your family and meet your friends.We will also have a raffle for several great items - a full nordic skate ski package donated by Tyrol Ski and Sport, a golf outing with cart at Somerby Golf club, donated by Somerby Golf Club, and two Giant Sedona Lifestyle 24 speed bikes, donated by Quality Bike Products, along with several other smaller prizes. Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20 and are available at Tyrol Ski & Sport, Rochester Cycling and Fitness, Shoot and Save Sport or from any Rochester Nordic Ski Team Member. The drawing will take place at 7:00 pm and you do not need to be present to win. (FYI: The 23rd is the day before the Winter Carnival 1/2 marathon in St. Paul ... which I plan to run ... would be a great way to carbo-load. Victoria's does a great job with pasta, of course.)

With the new year comes increased usage of the fitness center at the Y each and every year. It quickly drops off to normal levels, which is a shame. It's a great facility, especially now with all the new equipment. It's also a great place to chat and mercilessly tease my friends. ;-) They LOVE it!! Ha.

Speaking of the Y ... when I finished my workout this morning I asked Kirk, one of the personal trainers, if they still did skinfold caliper body-fat tests. They do. He said it would only take 5 minutes or so, so I went ahead and got one. They now do 7 sites (pecs (upper chest), triceps(back of upper arm), midaxilla (under armpit), abdomen, subscapula (below shoulder blade), suprailiac (right over hip bone), quads). (When I worked there and did them, we used 3 sites.) Then he plugs them into a computer program for results, including lean weight, fat weight (17 lbs.) % fat (12.6), population average, overall score, rating. It's free if you're a Y member. Just stop in the fitness center. He said some of the gals are uncomfortable with the measuring ... Kirk is as nice as they come. And it's not done in public view.

Well, I've got to get some stuff done before leaving for Beetles, including making dinner. I'm making some of Eric's favorites (wild rice pilaf and a baked chicken recipe), but he just took of for Decorah for the evening. Oh well ... we'll just have to enjoy it without him.

Quote for the day: "Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to." Isn't that the truth??

My very best wishes for happiness in 2009 for each and every one of you!

No comments: