Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'm Cookied Out ...

Yes, you may find that hard to believe, but I believe I've reached the saturation point in the cookie baking process and the baking extravaganza has come to an end. And I haven't eaten a one. And I don't want to see another cookie today ...

First, I made these little chocolate cups with peppermint filling. Putsy, but cute.

When I got done, about half the filling was still left over. So I made another batch of the cups so I could use up the filling as I didn't want to waste it.

Next up, these bars (more like candy) that taste just like a Snickers bar.

Four layers (chocolate, nougat, caramel, chocolate). Really good recipe that I've made for years.

Followed by my friend Kathryn's Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti recipe. The pistachios were whole and when I tried to cut them after the first baking, most of them just crumbled.

I'll have to see what I did wrong. Hers turn out wonderfully. I was going to dip half of each one in white chocolate but I'm not inclined to do that at this point. Enough is enough. BTW: Kathryn is the attorney I work for at Rochester Business Law Center .

Then ... Peanut Blossoms. I have a recipe I usually use but decided to look around a bit and maybe try a different one. I tried the one on the Land O'Lakes website which uses butter (of course!) instead of shortening and they turned out ...

perfect. ;-)

I made these the other day ... Peanut Sitting Pretties.


The recipe is in the Running Room December eMagazine .

This evening is the RTC board's annual potluck supper at Laura Lenz's home. I do believe wine is being served as I've been asked to bring glasses. I think a glass of wine sounds wonderful right now. I'm bringing dessert. Guess what I'm bringing?Yes, ... cookies. The hot pink super model wigs for the Polar Plunge will be delivered as well.

Get this, a first for me: Apparently, I heated up some dinner in the microwave last night and forgot to eat it as it was still in the microwave this morning. I remember eating a salad and a piece of bread with jam on it, but must have forgotten to eat the rest of my meal. I think I'm losing my marbles ... I can't even remember what was distracting me. No wonder I'm hungry in the evening.

Yesterday I had lunch along with 8 friends who are moms of kids who went to my sons' grade school, Central Lutheran . We've been getting together every year at this time for 11 years we figured out yesterday.

We have a great time. Every time. Sometimes there are tears to be shed (illness, death in the family, loss of a spouse) but this was a good year. We just laughed and laughed. Peggy, who moved to Scottsdale, even came back specifically this week so she could attend. It took us a whole 3 hours to finish talking. (BTW ... I told them their photo was going in my blog. From the left, counterclockwise are Kay, Georgia, Shirley, Peggy, Jeanne.) I already look forward to next year.

There are still spots available for the Resolution Run on January 1. The race benefits the Y Strong Kids campaign and includes a black and red running jacket. Start the new year off on the right foot! (Left is just fine, too. :-) Online registration only.

I heard from Steven from Mpls. (via a blog comment) and just read in Runner's World this morning that screw shoes are a whole lot cheaper than Icebugs. That they are! (I did get mine on clearance at Gear West, but they still were a bit more than $1.20 :-) I'd heard of this before, but for some reason pictured the head of the screw in the sole of the shoe instead of the other way around. Good thing there are pictures! I might give this a try with an old pair of shoes and see how they compare. Stay tuned.

Just a reminder that the weekend long run will be at Running Room on Saturday at 7:30 am and we'll be running the Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer half marathon route (February 15 event). You can shorten it as you like. We'll go across Broadway to Brothers Bar & Grill afterwards.

Quote for the day: "A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." --Eleanor Roosevelt

Until next time.

1 comment:

StevenCX said...

I first saw the story in Runner's World too, and started digging for more info. Putting them in pointy end first sure makes it easier! Sheet metal screws are still plenty grippy.