Saturday, December 27, 2008

Polar Bear 2008

We had a good turnout for the Polar Bear fun run and lunch today. The temps were pleasant, but the surfaces were slippery so the route was changed from bike path to city streets. I'd guess there were 35-40 for lunch.




(The slide show isn't working correctly for me. Click on View All Photos if it's not working for you either.)

The Calico Bean recipe was requested. Here you go:

1 28 oz. can Bush's Baked Beans
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can baby butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb. hamburger (I use more like 1/2 lb.)
1 medium onion

Sauce:
1/4 c. vinegar
1 c. ketchup
1 1/2 c. brown sugar (I think this makes it too sweet. I use 1 c. or less)
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled

Fry hamburger with onion. Cut and fry bacon. Rinse kidney and butter beans. Heat sauce ingredients in sauce pan until warm. Mix everything together. Pour over beans. Bake at 300 for 2 hrs. in oven or on low in crock pot for 4-8 hours.

Myself, I ran 15.46 (or something close ... GPS is charging) this morning. The sidewalks were icy. The bike paths were icy. So I ran on the roads, from my home in SW Rochester almost up to Century H.S. via Wilshire Dr NE (what a hill!), to Elton Hills to the RAC to County 22 then home. LOTS OF HILLS.

Thought for the day: "It isn't the load that weighs us down--it's the way we carry it."

Have a good one.

No comments: