Monday, December 8, 2008

There's Something in the Air

And it's snow! Quite a lot of it, too, apparently . Up to 10" and strong winds by the time all is said and done sometime tomorrow. I do believe we'll have a white Christmas this year. Well, with any kind of luck I'll be housebound and baking cookies tomorrow. :-) (I owe many different people a total of 14 dozen as of this writing.)

I may have to get out my Icebug shoes and go for a little run in the snow in the morning. Icebugs have carbide studs in the soles and work great, especially on really hard ice. Just don't wear them in the house. :-)

I went for a 7.27 mile run yesterday morning early (5:45 AM) ... the usual, down Fox Valley Drive SW to county 22, north to 2nd St SW, around the base of the hill and back up Fox Valley Dr. It was -5 at the airport, but we had about 1 degree here. It was very nice. There was virtually no wind. It was dark, quiet and peaceful. I had a very good run.

Christmas at Luther yesterday was wonderful. The roads weren't, but the concert was.

Some years I like their selection of music better than others and this was one where I really liked it. They also added a handbell choir. Someone donated a set of bells to the school. During one song, the handbells started being played one by one by members of the different choirs scattered all over the auditorium until they were all being played along with the vocals. So the bell sounds were coming from all over. Hard to explain I guess, but it was pretty neat. We weren't supposed to use cameras during the concert so the photo is of just the orchestra getting set up--and it's blurry at that.

My son Eric has been at the concert with my friend and I for the last 3 years, but as he's in Europe he wasn't there with us yesterday. I really miss him and can't wait for the boys to be home. Here's a photo of the boys from last December rolling Kringla for me.

They did a super job. I'll be hitting them up for help again this year.

This evening it's our holiday get-together at Barb Braun's for our Cooking Light group. We don't have assigned courses and a sit down dinner as we usually do, but bring appetizers, desserts and wine instead. I thought about bringing a dessert, but there's only so much of that stuff you can eat, so I decided to bake some (yeast) bread instead. It's a recipe I've not tried, but it should be kind of sweet as it contains dried cherries, chocolate chips and toasted pecans. It's not from Cooking Light, but it does contain whole wheat flour. No sugar or fat in the dough. Turned out kind of flat.

Lots of markdowns on shoes at Running Room . And the 20% off coupon in the eMagazine is good all month.

You have until 12/29 to RSVP for the RTC Annual Banquet to be held Saturday, January 10. RSVPs may be sent to David Sletten .

Regarding the Polar Plunge Polar Plunge : I've been assured by K.C. Reed that the following will not be happening on February 14.


My neighbor just brought over a tray of cookies. The onslaught of cookies from the neighbors has officially begun! So has the snow. :-)


Well, it's now 3:23 PM and I do believe I forgot to eat lunch. At this point, I might as well skip it. Don't need the calories anyway. I did eat half a piece of lefse at some point during the afternoon. :-)

Thought for the day: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift."

Enjoy your today.

No comments: