Sunday, December 14, 2008

And then ... into the deep freeze

At 11:00 this morning, the temperature was 40 degrees. Despite having run yesterday, there was no way I was going to pass up the chance to run at that temp and on ice-free surfaces (mostly). So out the door I went. Debated wearing shorts, but decided on pants. (There were 2 people out in shorts). There was still a fairly strong south wind, but it was very pleasant. Headed down to Running Room first to pick up a check. Mark Holland walked in, so we ran together for a bit up toward Silver Lake. He's still rahabing a knee, but was going to have in 9 miles by the time he got home. I went around the lake twice and by then the gloves and headband were off and my jacket unzipped. I met and greeted James Funk on the second loop. I headed back home the same way I'd started out. I met James again near the Civic Center and ran with him for maybe half a mile. I asked him how he was. One word answer. "Grumpy". OK ... I can play this game. So I said I was "Sleepy", "Dopey" and "Bashful". (7 dwarfs if you haven't caught on. Those were the only ones I could think of. :-) On 6th St SW, a couple in a chartreuse green jeep honked and waved furiously. I waved back ... but didn't recognize the car and didn't get a good look at the occupants. If you're reading this, please identify yourselves! Same for the silver Honda CR-V. :-) By the time I got home, it was definitely a lot cooler and the winds had really picked up. The thermometer said 28 degrees. (It's now 4 degrees.) 13.16 miles for today. That was enough.

The journey to a pillow

A couple of years ago, I made myself a jacket.



I started with several pieces of brushed cotton pastel plaid fabrics. I cut them into various sized squares and rectangles and sewed them all back together. Then I layered that piece on top of a loosely woven muslin and that was on top of a printed fabric (which became the lining). Quilted the whole piece using monofilament thread (clear, like very thin fishing line) and then washed it so it would crinkle up as the muslin shrinks more than the other fabrics.

Then, finally, I had the fabric out of which I'd make the jacket (the easy part!). I had a lot of leftover fabric when I was done, but really liked it so kept all the leftovers and made ...

a vest for my friend Jeanne. I still had leftovers. I kept them. They're just too cool (and too much work) to throw away. Waste not, want not, as they say.

Recently a friend was diagnosed with cancer. In the spirit of my homemade Christmas this year, I wanted to make her something. I decided it would be a pillow, and I decided to use up these fabrics. I finished it yesterday, just in time for her to start chemo this week. I brought it to her today and she really liked it and said she was going to bring it to all her chemo appointments. It made me very happy.


The RTC is now officially a member of the Rochester Chamber of Commerce. Check it out Thanks to Mike Schmitt for taking care of this.

I was asked for my microwave Caramel Corn recipe last night. Might as well post it. It's easy and faster than the oven-baked version.

Microwave Caramel Corn
3 quarts popped corn (I use microwave popcorn--about a bag and a half)
Nuts (optional)
1/2 c. butter (one stick)
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Put popped corn in a large grocery bag. Melt butter; add syrup and sugar. Cook on HIGH for 2 min.; stir. Cook 3 min., stirring 3 times. Take out and add vanilla and soda. Pour over popcorn in bag. Fold top over twice. Shake. Cook on HIGH for 1 min. Shake. Cook another minute. Shake. Cook on HIGH 30 sec. Shake and pour onto waxed paper to cool.

Thought for the day: "Be cheerful! Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most inportant."

Stay warm.

1 comment:

Steve Stenzel said...

Jeez, I hate this MN weather...

Ummm, carmel corn!!!