Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spring is in the Air!!

What a wonderful weather day. It finally feels, and looks, like spring might eventually come. Those of us that have lived in Minnesota for any length of time know that more snow is a definite possibility, and probability actually, but we also know that spring snows don't last long. Usually. :-) This year seems like it's been anything but "usual" ...

This morning was my usual Sunday workout. Run to the Y, lift, swim for an hour, run home. Saw Marie Boyd out running this morning. Haven't seen her in a while. Anway, on the door to the pool I noticed a sign indicating that swim coach Erik Collins is going to be at the Y on four Wednesday evenings helping adults with their swimming (triathletes, stroke improvement, ..., whatever you need). He's at the pool several mornings a week working with very talented swimmer Erin Caflisch (all-state and all-American swimmer). I'm very excited about this! It's 6:30 to 8:30 3/24, 4/7, 4/21 and 5/5. No pre-registration, no cost. Can't get a better deal than that. I chat with him in the mornings and he's very nice. Has a NY accent. :-) Back to my day's workout. In the middle of the afternoon I decided that it was just too nice outside to stay inside so I went for a bike ride. Outside! Finally! It was wonderful. I hope the weather permits more rides in the upcoming weeks. Wind was from the north, but slightly from the west so my ride back into town was faster than the ride out, which is just how I like it. I rode to Salem Corners and continued west to the top of the next hill. 18.81 miles total. It felt just great to be riding outside again. I encountered 7 other cyclists, the fifth being John Dinusson. The 7th was riding a recumbant bike. I see them occasionally in town, but not usually out in the county.

I cleaned the refrigerator today. Took out all the shelves and washed and dried them. It makes me happy every time I open the door.

For supper I decided I wanted asparagus and pea risotto. (I think I posted the recipe on my recipe blog a while back.) So I needed to get asparagus. I went to HyVee expecting to have to pay something like $3.99/lb. Surprise! It was $1.48/pound. Great price. So I got 2 pounds; one for the risotto and one to roast another day. For the risotto you start with 8 c. of heated chicken broth ...


and 2 c. of Arborio rice. (I actually used brown short-grain rice.)


You add the broth a cup at a time and stir continuously until it's absorbed, and then add another cup, stirring continuously until it's absorbed, and then another ... you get the idea. But that's what makes it so creamy and wonderful. With no cream involved. Just the starch from the rice.

Add a pound of asparagus ...

and a cup of peas. Salt/pepper and an ounce of grated Parm. It's wonderful.


A salad and a hunk of Great Harvest honey whole wheat bread with my grape jelly and I was in foodie nirvana. :-)

Speaking of food, tomorrow is our monthly Cooking Light dinner. On the menu:

Diane appetizer of your choice
Pam dip of your choice
Laura and Kathryn bread
Mary salad of your choice
Margo Vegetable Lasagna - Jan/Feb 2010 issue p. 205
Renee Upside-Down Fudge-Almond Tart J/F p. 172
Barbara wine

Normally our menu comes from just issue, but ... sometimes not! I'm sure it will be delicious in any case. I'm looking forward to trying the veggie lasagna. It's made with tofu.

Tomorrow is a busy day for me. I'll start out with my Monday morning 11 mile hill route before going to work. Afternoon, getting my teeth cleaned. Love how smooth they feel afterwards. Then volunteer at Commmunity Food Response, and finally, the CL dinner.

As it turns out, my Couch Potato was the winning entry last night at the St. Pat's party.

And I went home with the Got Luck? socks and St. Pats beads. Thank you Rachel

and K-P!!

Wendy O'Leary's mermaid came in second place.

I think she's so cute!! What a clever idea. Tom O'Leary also submitted an entry. :-)



Tom O' won the limerick contest. Here he is reciting one of his 3 submissions:


Quote for the day: "It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" ~Mark Twain

Hapy trails!

No comments: