Monday, March 8, 2010

The End is Near

: ( Sadly, my time is running out in sunny Florida. It's 71 degrees today and sunny. The rest of the week is supposed to be in the 70's, but cloudier and a chance for rain. I guess I'd take the sunshine and cooler temps over more clouds and more rain. Alas, it's not a perfect world is it??

Disney Princess Half Marathon redux: I looked at my splits last night. For sure, I was cold that first mile! It was my slowest mile. Mile 9 included my bathroom and GU and glove removal break. Had I kept up the pace with a 7:15'ish split, I'd have gone just under 1:35 which would have been wonderful. Alas ... here are the splits: 7:24  7;14  7:13  7:08  7:02  7:14  7:07  7:14  7:52 (break)  7:18  7:17  7:15  7:09  1:18 (my Garmin read 13.19 miles and the 1:18 at 6:39 pace ... I was trying to pass someone, and I did. : )  (BTW: Thank you Tom Woo for emailing me the vital stats yesterday after the race.) There were lit clocks every mile which was nice, and lots of music and Disney characters along the course. The course was pretty flat. The only hills were overpasses on the park roads. Not too many spectators, though. I think it was too chilly and early to expect too many people to be out there. The miles really did go quickly. After I finished, I started chatting with someone else who was waiting for a runner. Turns out we were kind of running soul (sole?) mates. One of us would say something and the other would say, "Me too!" We're both turning 50 this year, we both had a horrible Boston marathon 2008, we're both having a good year, we both had 1:40 as a goal for this marathon and we both achieved that (she ran 1:39), ... The list went on. She's Elizabeth from Jacksonville. Very nice gal. I got a photo of the two of us on a disposable camer that was in our goodie bag. I forgot to mention that the goodie bag was a purple mesh drawstring backpack, which is nice. Lisa and Ellen got socks in their goodie bags. I didn't. : ( Oh, well. After the race, I had a princess sprinkle my hair with "fairy dust", as I did at the expo too. It's really fine glitter that gets all over everything. ; ) This is all the stuff they were handing me at the finish line. I think the volunteers were happy  to have a customer and they all kept handing me stuff.

After the race I ate a banana and a mini CLIF bar (80 calories). And when we got back to the room, 1/3 of a cookie which tasted divine. When the race was over, I had the song Bibbity Bobbity Boo streaming through my head! Also, the Macarena. They were doing all these dance songs while we were waiting in the corrals at the start. After the Twins game, the Chicken Dance was streaming. : )

Well, today I'm definitely "sun-kissed" (Sunkist, too). I've spent some time in the sun and am a little bit fried. But it will fade. We had pancakes at Cafe on the Beach on Anna Maria Island this morning. The pancakes are average pancakes, but they taste so much better on the beach.





They give you the sausage. 3 of them! I ate 1/2 of one. I'm not a big sausage eater. I took a nice 50-minute walk on the beautiful white sand beach. It's really gorgeous down here.






On the way home, we stopped at On A Shoestring, a running store. The gal that was working recognized me from the track on Thursday.





A nice little shop. I got some "Save the tatas" socks.

My morning workout today: lift and swim at the Y and then a 5.16 mile run from Dad's. It's so nice to run in shorts. : ) Tomorrow's workout plans are uncertain.

Well, that's it for today. My  flight leaves at 8:20 AM tomorrow. And an almost 3 hour layover in Atlanta AGAIN. Hopefully, tomorrow's weather will not produce any cancellations or delays. My fingers are crossed.

See you at Beetles on 2nd at 6 PM Tuesday!!

Ta-ta.