Monday, March 30, 2009

Out and About

Happy Monday. :-)

It looks like we might be rescheduling the Self Defense for Women class from 4/19 to possibly 4/26 if we can find a room to hold it in. It will be $10 and taught by a female employee of Olmsted County corrections who's a black belt in two martial arts. If you're interested in the class, please contact me. Bring your friends, your daughters, your mom. I think it will be good information to have stored away in our memory banks should something happen while out running, walking, or even getting into a car in a dark parking lot.

I joined TriRochester the other day, now that I'm a triathlete "in training". I believe in supporting our local clubs. My tri training continues ... the Rochesterfest Sprint Triathlon on June 28 being my first real venture into the world of triathlon. I'm excited, but still a bit apprehensive about that open water swim. Once I get back onto that beach, I'll be a happy camper!

Also just joined the St. Cloud River Runners club and USATF so that I can compete as a member of the SCRR masters' race team. I'm excited!! It would be great if the RTC had enough interest to form a race team as well. Think about it, runners!!

I'll be filmed for a RahRahRochester! spot on their YouTube site on Thursday afternoon. We're tentatively planning on doing it at Bamber Valley School, where the Fetzer 20K and 2-Mile begins and ends, weather permitting. It sounds like we're going to get a little blast of undesirable weather in the next couple of days. BTW: I'm still taking race entries!! Thank you to my latest volunteer, Jim Li.

I was out and about this afternoon and found something fun at Fleet Farm--"Speedy Bunny" HERSHEY's chocolate bunnies. They're $2.49 (solid, not hollow). I'm sure there will be a "run" on them after this post. HA!! Anyway, I thought they'd make a cute little gift for running buddies. Or bunnies. :-)

My stop at Fleet Farm was on my way back from Stewartville. There were a couple places I've wanted to stop by but just haven't had the chance: All In Stitches quilt shop and the new Fareway Foods store. AIS owner Sandy Evans used to have a shop in Rochester, closed it several years ago and re-opened in Stewartville last year and I hadn't been down there yet. She has a very nice shop. I bought a piece of green fabric which will become the border and binding of a lap quilt I've wanted to make. Then I stopped at Fareway and was very impressed with the store. Very good prices! My favorite flour, King Arthur, is almost $2 less per 5 lb. bag there than at Hy-Vee in Rochester. I'll be back!!

I tried the Champagne Pear Vinaigrette salad dressing that I got at Trader Joe's on Friday. Yum.O. Very tasty. And only 45 calories for 2 Tbsp!! It will go back on my shopping list for my next visit.


I made some chili last night and it turned out quite well, actually. It's a modification of a recipe I found in a magazine. I'll call it Saxman's Sweet and Spicy Chili.

1/2 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can stewed tomatoes (I used the kind with onions and peppers added)
1 small can tomato paste
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. chipotle Tabasco sauce

Brown ground beef, onion, green pepper. Add garlic and saute another minute or so. Add beans, tomatoes, 1 1/2 c. water, tomato paste, honey, cpices. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours on medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. Serve topped with chopped green onions, and shredded cheese, if desired.

Quote for the day: "If you want to get somewhere you have to know where you want to go and how to get there. Then never, never, never give up." --Norman Vincent Peale

Well, that brings me to the close of yet another post. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: