Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Back Down to Earth

Well, my bubble has burst, my runner's high has evaportated and things are all back to "normal" after my 8K on Sunday. Sure was fun while it lasted. ;-)


Maple Syrup

My maple syrup making project came to fruition last night. It's delish. Thank you Dan Strain for the 9 gallons of maple sap. I am now the very proud owner of about a quart of homemade maple syrup. I was so paranoid that I was going to drop it after all those hours of boiling. I didn't. Yet, anyway. This will surely be rationed in its use.

Fetzer News and Notes

I have about 100 pre-registered as of this writing. Price goes up $5 on Friday, so get those registrations in! Thank you to these additional volunteers: Larry Pederson, Tasia Shelly, Greg Hagen, Carol Nyaga, Michelle Jilek + 2, Theresa and Anne Backlund, Paul Anderson, Pete Schommer, Jeff Ihrke and scouts, Greg Heetland and Georgia Schulz. You guys rock! Thank you so much. Gatorade cups and banners arrived today.

Rochesterfest Triathlon Training

I wanted to see how far I could swim in exactly one hour. Answer? Exactly 1 1/4 miles. :-) OK, I'm slow ... but I'm steady. Tom Woo and I were talking on the way home from the 8K on Sunday and he asked whether I thought the swimming was helping my running. I replied in the affirmative as I thought it was helping to strengthen my cardiovascular system. This was confirmed by Shaun Palmer who said that the lungs are worked at a deeper level than I'm used to in my other training and it improves my breathing. Since I'm enjoying the swimming so much, I guess this is a bonus!

Adult Running Camp

There is an adult running camp held each summer at UW-Steven's Point in late July (July 23-26 this year). It's $210 for the 4 days and it's a LOT of fun. I attended it several years ago. I'm thinking of going again this year. More info here .

Running the Sahara movie

Lionel Cheng has purchased the movie Running the Sahara on DVD and has been gracious enough to offer to hold a public viewing of it. I am willing to host this at my house. If you're interested (it's 103 minutes long) please let me know and we'll chose a time that works for the majority.

GEAR WEST Road Trip

We've postponed our visit to GEAR WEST until Friday. We're leaving at 11:15 AM. There's still room for one more in the car if you'd like to come along with us. We're stopping at Trader Joe's in St. Louis Park as well. It's one of my favorite places to stop in the cities. Thanks for indulging me, guys. ;-)

Chester Woods Trail Run

Jim Benike, ultra runner extraordinaire, will be the official starter at Chester Woods this year. They couldn't have picked a nicer guy!

Food



It was a great day to bake, so I made some homemade buns. They just came out of the oven. Yum-o!!

Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer Mugs

If you were pre-registered and did not receive your mug at the Lace Up Against Breast Cancer Run on Feb. 15, please collect your mug at the Running Room in Rochester within the next two weeks if possible.

Seen and Heard on the Run

Seen and heard on my 7.14 mile run at noon today... Seen: Park & Rec has swept the 1/4" of sand off the bike path on West Circle Drive. Yahoo! Julie Stanton driving by on 2nd St SW. Heard: The red-winged blackbirds are back. Argghh. Those territorial winged creatures bug me to no end. I get so tired of them dive-bombing my head when they're protecting their nests!

One of My Many Idiosyncracies

OK, I confess. I probably have more of them than the average mortal. Here's one: When I'm lifting, and doing bench presses, it bugs me when the bar isn't square to (exactly perpendicular or parallel to) the ceiling tile grids at the Y. The bench I like is off square to the floor/ceiling tiles by about 1". I should just stop sweating it and square up the darn thing! OK. End of confession. :-)

Excellence

I thought that Lionel did an excellent job of expressing why distance runners do what we do in his Saturday post (at the end, words in blue). I couldn't have said it any better myself. Well done.

Well, that brings me to the end of my "to be posted" list. Thought for the day: Happiness held is the seed; happiness shared is the flower.

Bloom where you're planted. :-)

No comments: