Sunday, March 22, 2009

Where Did THAT Come From???

Human Race 8K


I sure wasn't expecting much from the 8K today. My legs were tired from yesterday's 20-miler and my right hamstring/hip was once again sore. So I went up to the race just planning to run it for fun ... a 40:00 finish time would have been just fine. I even considered not running and just watching and taking pictures.

Tom Woo and I left about 10:30 and headed up to the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul. Beautiful day for running for March. We picked up our numbers and chips and then went to the finish of the 5K and were lucky enough to see Chris O'Brien finishing up her race. She and her friend were dressed in their festive shamrock wear. :-) Other Rochester area runners spotted at some point were Mike Schmitt, John Brown, Pat Brown (no relation!), Rosemary Harnly and Pete Gilman.

Tom headed out to warm up. I decided that I'd just stay in the field house until closer to the start as I didn't want to test the fates and put in any more miles than necessary lest I pull a hamie, or worse. :-) I kept stretching, dropped my stuff in the car and jogged over to the start line where I talked with Rosemary Harnly. All systems were go. The temp was low 50's with a strong E/SE wind. I'd worn a long-sleeved shirt and was ready to get going as the wind felt chilly. Finally the starter said 'go' and we were off over the chip timing mats heading east on Summit Avenue. The course is out and back and in general it's uphill (and today, into the wind) going out and downhill coming back, though mile 2 is a slight downhill and 4 an uphill.

So back to my plan. Run comfortable. Have fun. Don't get injured. Mile 1: 7:28. Felt fine. Comfy. But I was generating some heat, so the long-sleeved shirt came off (while running I might add!) at about 3/4 mile and I ran the rest in just a sports bra and shorts, which felt perfect. (There was everything from sports bras and shorts to double long-sleeves and tights out there. To each his own as they say. But I was dressed just right, for me, at this point.) Mile 2: 7:08. Feeling good! Approaching a left turn around the block for the turnaround. Mile 3: 7:05. OK. Now the wind is at my back. Yippee! Let's pick it up a little, despite the slight uphill. Mile 4: 6:49. Passing LOTS of people. This is pretty fun! Picking out runners and picking them off ... one by one. Really having some fun now. OK, one mile left. Let's let 'er rip! Put the hammer down! Get in "the zone"! Fast forward Mile 5 (actually .98 miles): 6:20. HOLY SMOKES!! I've run one 6:20 mile in my life and that was a timed mile several years ago at All Comers. And this wasn't painful. I'm totally psyched! Official finish time: 34:42. Blow. Me. Away. Where in the world did that run come from??? I was pleased as punch. Still am. :-) Next stop, Fool's Five April 5.

Ya just never know what the day is going to bring.

3 comments:

roentgen said...

Great race Renee! Looks like those brownies are your secret weapon :P

russells said...

You speed demon!!
Thanks for the fun pictures!
You are a great sport!

Views from a director said...

That doesn't surprise me a bit. You've put in alot of work and are looking like you are in fantastic shape. Great job