Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back To It

She's b-a-a-a-a-c-k!! Yup. I'm back up north. Back to the cold. Back to the snow. Back wearing a winter coat and mittens. :-( It was wonderful to get away from it for a week. Hopefully spring is just around the corner.

Rochesterfest Triathlon training update: Judy and I swam early today for an hour. I believe I've graduated from Freestyle 101 at this point. At least Shaun said he felt no urge to bang me on the head with a kickboard. :-) I now have to find the courage to try flip turns. I'm afraid I'll somehow flip myself right up the edge of the pool ... the visuals are a bit disconcerting on that one. :-) I used flippers a few times this morning. Wow ... for fun! I felt like I had a little motor pushing me right down the pool. 6-7 swim cycles and I'm across! I am really enjoying the pool now, and I still can't believe I'm saying that. After swimming, I rode the bike for an hour. Got in 17.42 miles. Felt OK. I registered for the Indoor Tri on 3/15 today. Also spotted in the pool this morning, Sue, the gal who's training for her first tri as well, local humorist and P-B profile Vicky Snyder and Ironwoman Wendy Nevala.

Judy (Weller) said she made mozzarella cheese using the whey leftover from making yogurt. How cool is that?? I'm so impressed. She said she'd give me some to try some time. Can't wait.

Here's a link from Mike Schmitt: McDonald's/Marathon commercial.

Recycle your old running shoes at Jefferson Elementary through April 30 for the Nike Reuse-A-Shoe program. The school hopes to make a new playground surface out of the recycled material.

Happy Birthday to the following RTC members in March: Susan Batt, Bob Bergsgaard, Jeanne Block, Craig Blommer, Teresa Byland, Ron Giles (milestone!! And I'm going to have some fun with this one!!), Mary Haen, Gregg Hanson (milestone), Sue Hartwig, Katie James, Brendan Layden, Dave Morrill, Eric Overby, Joel Owen, Tony Poirier, Duane Price, Kristi Quade-Wiedrich (milestone), Laura Lenz (milestone), Mark Schaub (milestone). Enjoy your day!

Got an email from Joe Ryan. He's rented a small house for Grandma's Marathon. Judy and I are staying there with Joe and his wife and his niece and her boyfriend. Should be fun!

From a St. Cloud River Runner : World's Healthiest Foods You can sign up for an eNewsletter.

Foodie Stuff: Read about this cupcake website Cupcakes Take the Cake somewhere while I was gone. Amazing what these gals can do with those little cakes! Recipes, beautiful photos, etc. Have some spare time? See if you can name the cross-sections of these candy bars. (From the appendix of Candy Freak, the Rochester Reads book for this year.) I will be baking cookies for Wally for the Lucky Green 5K on March 14.

Thought for the day: "Learn to say kind things. Nobody ever resents them."

Gotta run! My Yack 'n Snack group is meeting tonight. Don't want to miss a thing. :-)

No comments: