Friday, March 13, 2009

Can You Feel It In The Air?

SPRING, that is! What a wonderful change in the weather in just a couple days' time. With the snow nearly melted away, and a few robins sighted here and there, I am definitely coming down with a slight case of spring fever. And I'm lovin' it.

Yesterday, four of us (Lionel Cheng, Jim Mason, Matt Schrader and myself) ventured up to Minneapolis to catch a preview of a new running movie Beyond the Epic Run about a runner and his wife who dedicated 5 years of their life to pursue a dream ... that of running around the world (25,000 miles). Lionel Cheng ...

did a far better job of capturing his thoughts about the movie than I could, so please check out his post for a great recap of the movie. It was a fun little outing and a chance for us to chat (pretty much non-stop) about all things running.

Cookies were, of course, part of the plan and were well-received. Same recipe that I posted over the weekend (Chewy Chocolate Cookies) and the recipe was once again declared a keeper.

We met up with some runners from the St. Cloud River Runners some of whom were down to Rochester for the Lace-Up Against Breast Cancer event in February. Pictured are Lionel Cheng (RTC), Jim Mason (RTC), Arvid Fristad (SCRR), Matt Schrader (RTC), Denise Baxter (RTC), me (RTC), Linda Christen (SCRR), and Sharon Hobbs (SCRR).

Today was a "milestone" day in the life of one local runner, namely Ron Giles. He turned the big 4-0. And I thought he needed a little early morning celebration in honor of the momentous occasion.

So I got up early and baked some treats (French Toast scones and lemon blueberry muffins--the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies at the right I made yesterday--they were Ron's take-home treat and are a long-standing favorite of his) and brought them down to the DAHLC. On hand to partake were ...

Jerry Pruett, Ron, Jeff Gamez, Dave Hillman, and John Shonyo and Dan Pulford (not pictured). It was good to see them all again. We used to all run (and eat!) together on a regular basis. Happy 40th birthday, Ron and welcome to age group 40-49. :-)

Tomorrow morning is another marathon training run at the RAC. I believe Lin's schedule calls for 15. I'm sure I can come up with some post-run treats of some kind. :-) Wally Arnold said he'd give me a comp entry for his Lucky 5K which begins at 10:00 AM at Running Room. I'm tempted ... !! It'd be slow, for sure. Then from 2-5 Trevor and Helen Distad are coming over to show Lionel Cheng and I how to make homemade chocolates. Yum-O!!

Well, I looked at the calendar yesterday and noticed that Sunday morning is the indoor triathlon at the Y. Took me by surprise, actually. I was thinking that I had another week. All I can say is that I'll give it my best shot ...


Pictured above are the trophies (very cute!) and give aways for the Bear Creek Prediction Run November 7. Race director Chris O'Brien certainly is on the ball and puts the rest of us race directors to shame by being so ultra-organized and ahead of the game!

Saw this pasta sauce at Rochester Produce. Marathon Marinara from Grandma's Saloon & Grill in Duluth. :-)

Well, I'm really tired and I'm ready to wrap up this post. Enjoy the beautiful weather that's forecast for tomorrow. 50's sound great after what we endured the middle of this week.

Thought for the day: "Learn to say kind things. Nobody ever resents them."

Until next time.

2 comments:

roentgen said...

Thanks again for the delicious chewy chocolate cookies during the road trip to the cities...they were fantastic and made the Epic Run movie even more enjoyable! :P

Anonymous said...

it appears like you possessed a more fantastic weekend break when compared with my own, personal! ' ha, my spouse and i spent it understanding regarding finals. ughhh.
lovely website, mind you!

Diablo III items


Buy Guild Wars 2 Gold