Saturday, March 7, 2009

Spring Ahead

Yup. That's right. Spring is ahead. I just know it. Despite the winter weather advisory for tomorrow... Blech!! And don't forget to set your clocks ahead before retiring tonight, lest you be late for something tomorrow. Or Monday. :-)

Monday the cookie monsters (Jim Martinson, Jim Benike, Mark Wernstrom, Jean Murray, Ross Hamernik, Don Gabrielson, KC Reed and Shaun Palmer) get their monthly delivery. This month ... I think I'll do monster cookies. With Easter colored M&Ms.


Speaking of cookies, the chocolate cookies (that looked like dirt) were a hit this morning after the long run. All the guys said the recipe was a keeper. Here it is:

Chewy Chocolate Cookies

1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/2 cup for coating
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter , softened
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Place ½ cup granulated sugar in shallow baking dish or pie plate. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl. Whisk corn syrup, egg white, and vanilla together in small bowl.

2. In stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter, brown sugar, and remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low, add corn syrup mixture, and beat until fully incorporated, about 20 seconds, scraping bowl once with rubber spatula. With mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture and chopped chocolate; mix until just incorporated, about 30 seconds, scraping bowl once. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no pockets of flour remain at bottom. Chill dough 30 minutes to firm slightly (do not chill longer than 30 minutes).

3. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll between hands into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Working in batches, drop 8 dough balls into baking dish with sugar and toss to coat. Set dough balls on prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart; repeat with second batch of 8. Bake, reversing position of the baking sheets halfway through baking (from top to bottom and front to back), until cookies are puffed and cracked and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), 10 to 11 minutes. Do not overbake.

4. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes, then use wide metal spatula to transfer cookies to wire rack; cool cookies to room temperature.


Long run: Great crowd today. I did a cursory count and there were 60, + or - a few. Well, I wasn't sure what my mileage would be today when I left the house. Actually, I wasn't sure what it would be until I was actually done. The weather was better than previous weeks (though definitely not better than it was in Sarasota last week, but I'll save those photos for tomorrow), though it seemed colder and windier when we finished than when we started. Henry Biar thought the same. :-) The scheduled run was 15 miles, though the course was short. I ran 2.59 before the group started and had 16.92 when we finished. I was pretty tired when we all got back to the RAC, but after a drink of water and a cookie, I perked up a bit. I decided I for sure wanted 17.00 and then decided to run out to County 22 and back for another mile. (Water stop thank yous to Tim Geise and Steph Bagniewski. Forgot who else helped out, but you are appreciated!! And thanks for the gummy bears. :-) They got me up Assissi Heights hill.)

Then ... I decided to go swim. I swam 3/4 mile. I decided to time my first quarter. About 12 minutes (with rest breaks!). At least I know have a benchmark to improve upon. There were 3 of us sharing the only open swim lane and I had to try to keep up with, or out of the way of, a gal using fins. By far it was my best swim yet. Not fast, but my endurance is definitely improving.

Thank you to the following who have already volunteered to help at the Fetzer April 11: Chris and Tom O'Brien, Ken Persons, John Resman, Jim Martinson, Peg Arnold, Renee Kottschade, Eric Woodford, Julie Nelson, Laura Lenz, Jean Murray, Julie Murray, Greg Hagen, Kirby Bakken, Lin Gentling, Mike Schmitt, Wally Arnold, Dave Sample, Teresa Byland, Mary Chestolowski, Bill Nevala, Jim Mason, Lionel Cheng, Loren Johnson, Cathy Torgerson. You guys are the best! But ... it's a long race and I still need more!!

(Another childhood photo. Probably about 1962 or 1963.)

Tomorrow I think I'll take down my snowman decorations inside the house. Even if it's snowing outside, I think I'll feel better having them put away and having some more spring-like things out now.

Well, some more promised Florida photos. These are from Thursday, Feb. 26 when we had pancakes at Cafe on the Beach on Anna Maria Island. Beautiful, beautiful day.



Time to read the paper.

Thought for the day: "It isn't the load that weighs us down; it's the way we carry it."

Carry on.

No comments: