Friday, October 1, 2010

"Finishing is Winning'

Before I say anything else, congratulations to Familie Schmitt on the arrival of their newest member late this morning ... a little girl!!

This afternoon I needed to get my replacement vacuum cleaner belt. My vacuum is a 25-year old Hoover and about the only place I can find belts for it is the vacuum shop on 1st Ave SW just north of 6th St SW, 2 miles from my house. (BTW: They had a $1600 vacuum in there!) I'd decided I wasn't going to do a marathon bike ride today (Monday instead) as I just had to get some stuff done around the house. I wanted to do a "test run" of my running abilities before Sunday as I still haven't decided whether I'll be running TC10 or cheering on the curb on Summit Ave. So ... after I got the vacuum belt I decided to keep running. And running. The first mile I was pretty stiff and sore, but the farther I went the looser I felt and the more I felt like I was "running" and not "jogging", not just dragging my left leg along. And I had more lift in my leg. I really am still plodding along at a jogging pace but it felt good to at least feel like I was running. So at 8.00 miles, at the History Center, I decided to call it good enough walk it home. Mostly. I couldn't help but run just a little. And I stopped at a garage sale.  Here are my splits: 9:40 8:59 8:45 9:02 8:56 9;12 9:01 8:45.


Apparently none the worse for wear, I did it! : )

I was bopping around on some blogs today and found one called "Finishing is Winning" with this following ... "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start". So there you go ...

Oh. I did get the vacuum all fixed up.


And it even works!!

I still haven't decided for sure about Sunday, but I at least know I can get myself from the dome to the capital. Or today I could anyway! So ... check back in on Sunday to see what transpires. Today's morning workout: hamstring curls and an hour swim at the Y.

More TCM/TC10 info: Steve DeBoer, runner and Mayo Clinic dietician, is doing a talk at the expo at 1:00. The Rochester runner meeting spot at the dome is section 232. Has been since my first TCM in 1998. Be there. : ) There must be close to 20 River Runners meeting for dinner on Saturday evening. I can't wait!! I made lots of cookies. Some with chocolate ...


and for Rick and Paul F (and Paul M) whose favorite is Oatmeal Raisin, a batch of those as well.


I'm sure lots of you read about my buddy Ross Hamernik who's a member of the Charter Club ... he's run all the Twin Cities Marathons up until this year. He had a hip replaced a few weeks ago, so his streak has ended. : ( But I'm sure he's handling it well with his typical good humor. : ) And sarcasm. : ) I should bring him some cookies one of these days ...

So ... back to this garage sale. I saw this hat stand/mirror/table thing made from an old door and beveled glass. That was SOLD. $45. I was so disappointed. So as I was leaving I told the 4 or 5 gals that I'd have given them $50 for it and they said to give them my number in case the other party didn't show up. And a couple of them made a comment something like "We were just admiring your lean physique ... You look like a runner." Just a few words, but boy did that make my day. I told them that yes, I was a runner, but an injured one and that I didn't feel lean these days. And the conversation went on a little bit further from there. It just made me think about the old saying "reach out and touch ..." as I was walking home. I've been feeling down, and a perfect stranger(s) reached out with her words and turned my day around. And an email I received earlier in the day had the same effect. So I challenge you today, bleaders, to reach out and touch ... say a kind word, open a door for someone, give someone a hug, say "I love you". You too just might make someone's day, turn someone's day around if even for a few short hours. It'll be worth it. I guarantee.

I was a tad domestic today and (self-) cleaned the oven and cleaned all the shelves in the fridge. I love it when the fridge is sparkling clean and organized.



As long as we're talking food, here was supper ...


along with an ear of corn and a slab o'bread.

Last night someone asked me what happened to the toenail that I lost last week. Well, it's now residing on the dashboard of a friend's vehicle. : ) Ha!!

It's late and I've got a busy weekend coming. G'night.

1 comment:

noah retka said...

Hey Renee,

DO you know if any of the Rochester folks are planning on running at Whistlestop this coming weekend? I'm thinking about heading over there for the marathon (and once again will be extremely under-trained, but it worked last time). Hope you guys miss me! I still run hill repeats on Tuesday afternoons, although it is a lot less fun slogging up them by myself. And due to the nature of the terrain in Duluth, I usually end up getting a good deal of climbing every other day of the week too.
adios,
noah